Chapter 13: Cailley

Author's Note:  Before anything else, I want you all to play the song on the multimedia box.  Do it, okay? Please?  A fellow watty member suggested it.  I did it before in one of the chapters, and now I'm doing it again.  So... hit PLAY, okay?  :) Then read.  Hehe!

© rainthereader 2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 13

Cailley

Lucas was hugging me so tight.  His arms crushed my body, his face pressed hard on my left temple, deeply inhaling me.  What is with him?  We stood there like that for a while, my right shoulder feeling the heavy beat of his heart I could almost hear it thumping.  From the way he was holding me I could easily smell the scent of his spicy, woody cologne.  I was so tempted to skim my nose on his chest, but he finally, slowly, released me from his grip.

His grey eyes were penetrating as he examined me from head to foot and up again.  Wrinkling my nose, I made a curious face while he bestowed me this really profound smile, and with a controlled timbre to his voice he spoke, "I just...want to thank you for all this.  For taking great care of Lizzie, for the delicious meals... "  And then he rubbed his forehead and cleared his throat. "...and for simply being good to us.  I'm so glad Shannon chose you.  Thank you."

Okay.  What did one say in situations like this?

The words from my mouth trembled a little.  "Hey, don't worry about it.  It's my job and... and I'm happy to take care of you guys—" Dangit!  He just meant Lizzie!  "I mean, I'm happy to take care of Lizzie.  And cooking's not even a problem.  You're most welcome."  What else?  Think.  With my face getting hotter by the second, I quickly pointed my thumbs to the direction of the table.  "You want to eat?  Lunch is waiting."

He was still looking at me in that odd way of his, smiling affectionately, and with a wave of his hand motioned for me to go first.  "You go ahead, I'll be back shortly."  And he strode to the living room.

I reached the table just as Lizzie was walking back in the kitchen, and pulled back a chair so she could sit down. I was telling her that she should start eating when I heard the beginnings of The Temptations' "My Girl" drifting in the air.  Someone's in a good mood.

Lucas entered and sat on the chair across from me, patting Lizzie's head.  His mouth pulled into a crooked grin that sent the butterflies in my stomach aflutter while he spooned some baked lasagna and grabbed a piece of chicken.  After taking a bite, he closed his eyes, seeming to savor the food; and when he opened them, a silly grin was plastered on his face.

"You really know how to cook.  This is the best lasagna I've ever had."  He continued to chew and took another chicken on the serving dish and placed it on my plate.

"Eat," he commanded after swallowing.  Spooning more of the pasta, he set it on my plate as well.

I had no idea how I earned this unwarranted attention so I just muttered my thanks.

"It's really, really good.  I love it.  Thank you."  He stressed the last two sentences sincerely.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "I'm pleased to know you liked it."

Placing the chicken down on his plate, he wiped his hands on a napkin and gazed at me seriously. "Your mom must be a great cook, huh?"

The question caught me off guard but I tried not to show it.  How could I explain this without him finding out the truth of my situation?  "Well, um,  Jenna taught me.  She's the expert."