Chapter 14: Lucas (FULL AND EDITED)

My inspiration for this is Michelle Featherstone's "Sweet Sweet Baby". It just seems appropriate and mushy. It's the perfect song for the last scene. I hope you listen to it and feel the love. Because while I was reading this and listening to the music I felt like the sequence is movie-perfect. Oh well, that's just wishful thinking. Haha! Okies, enjoy!

Chapter 14

Lucas

Tears.

Chloe's tears.

No, baby, don't-

I watched her run back inside the house with that dejected expression on her beautiful face etched in my memory. And it tore my heart to pieces.

Don't cry. I was pretending it was you. That I was kissing you, babe. Not Blair.

Finally holding a gentle but firm grip behind Blair's head, I ended what we were doing, and led her to the house. That fifteen-second kiss felt like forever, and Blair arms were wrapped so tight around my neck that it hurt and made moving really difficult. I didn't like it.

Not one bit.

That was the reason I opened my eyes. Closing them would feel like a complete betrayal to Chloe, and there was no doubt she would see what Blair and I did so I just chose the lesser demon and opened them.

And stared straight to the woman that I loved.

In my mind my lips were touching Chloe. I was feeling her. Only her. And I was hoping my damnedest that she saw it through my eyes.

But of course she didn't. Why would she, when I was kissing someone else? What I did was sick, I know. But I had to do it. To show her that I wished it was her the entire time. Even if it was callous, thoughtless, and downright reckless.

Closing the front door, I ushered Blair to the kitchen. I was really surprised to see her here at this hour. She was supposed to be sleeping right now, collecting strength for her hectic schedule tonight. She was never awake this early.

She moved closer and lifted my hand, placing the back of it on her cheek. "Happy to see me, darling?"

I forced a smile. "You're supposed to be in your apartment. Asleep."

Snappishly letting go of me, she slightly backed away and raised both her brows unbelievingly. "Not the answer I was expecting to hear."

Not the visitor I was expecting to see.

"Of course I'm happy to see you. I was just a bit... surprised. You never go out this time of day."

Her hand gripped mine once again and tilted her head to the side, lips pouting. "I missed you, honey. I wanted to see you before I leave tomorrow. And... Come, let's take out the groceries."

She dragged me toward the table and I placed the bags on it. One by one, she took the contents out and folded the bags while I waited for her to explain the reason for her sudden appearance.

"Alright, that's everything," she stated, bringing her hands together in satisfaction.

I scanned the assortment of ingredients, there were a lot. "You know how to cook now? I can't remember a time you mentioned attending culinary school."

"Well, I still don't. And I didn't," she admitted.

Okay. "Then what's with all this? Oh. You want me to cook tonight?"

Taking a deep breath, she presented me one of her megawatt smiles, which, I now recognized, really did nothing to my insides as compared to Chloe's heart-stopping ones, even back when I still knew her as Cay.