Chapter 16: Lucas (FULL)

It's finally here, guys.  I edited a few parts so you might want to read them all again.  Thank you all for being patient.  My life was so hectic these days.  I love you all!  Sara Bareilles'  "The Light" for the inspiration of this chapter.

Chapter 16

Lucas

“Luc?”

“Hmm?”

“I don’t want to go out anymore.”

I looked down and saw Chloe’s sparkling green eyes gazing at me, a blissful smile on her face.  “Why, sweetheart?”

“I just want you to hold me.  We can’t cuddle like this if we’re outside.  This is perfect.”  She whispered those last words as she hugged me tighter, her warmth fusing with mine.  She was right. We didn’t have to leave my apartment.  We were perfect right where we were.

“Do you want to watch a movie?  I’ll make popcorn,” I suggested, almost lifting her and my body from the couch.

Her muffled laughter tickled my skin and she mumbled, “Sleep.  I would rather sleep.  All day.”  And she snuggled her head once more on my chest and closed her eyes, sighing contentedly.

Wrapping my arms around her and resting my chin on her head, I murmured, “Okay, baby.  Whatever you wish.”

“Mmm.  This feels nice, don’t you think?”  Her voice was lethargic.

“Yes, it does.  Shh…  Sleep now.”  I kissed her forehead and drew her much closer, if ever that was still possible.  Lifting my hand, I slowly combed my fingers through her short hair, loving the feel of the soft strands.   Everything was quiet for a moment except for the silent hums of our breathing.

She inhaled then slowly let the air out.  “Don’t want this day to end Luc….”

“Me too, sweetheart.  Me, too.”  I smiled, continuing the languid strokes on her hair.  She was so adorable.

“Love you…”

“Love you more.”

                                                                                ***********

Right now I was pissed.

Really, really pissed.

Why was the bastard visiting again?

Chloe was encircled in Marc’s arms, eyes closed, a peaceful smile on her face.  Even if his back was to me, I could clearly see just how tight he was embracing her from the way his suit stretched.  And it wasn’t a pleasant sight to watch.

They were hugging like they had done it a thousand times before.   They seemed so content.  So… at ease. 

And I hated it so much.  I despised the knowledge that Chloe had already been comforted by someone other than me.

I wanted to break pretty boy’s neck.

Her lids fluttered open, immediately seeing my glare.  I couldn’t hide my anger.  I was furious.  She stared at me a moment, awareness visible in her eyes,  then looked away and placed her shoulders on Marc’s and slowly pulled from his grasp.  There was a wobbly smile on her face.  Good.  At least she sensed what I was feeling.