Chapter 10: Lucas

© rainthereader 2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 10

Lucas

Blair pulled her lips away from mine, leaving her arms wrapped around my neck.  “What a nice surprise.  You should’ve told me that you wouldn’t be working today.  I could’ve picked you up at your place,” I told her with a smile.

“That’s okay, hon.  What’s the point of it being a surprise if I called you?” she murmured.  Then, placing her hands on my head and tugging me closer she purred, “I missed you.”

“Missed you, too.”  And upon hearing the words, she kissed me again.  I accepted her sultry attention, but knew that I wasn’t into it as much as I wanted to. 

Try to focus. 

Her mouth was still soft, with the slight feel of peach gloss.  Her hair was normally long and silky. And her skin still smelled of freesia.  I wanted to let her know that I missed her as much as she missed me.  Pulling her body closer, I deepened the kiss.  She moaned, clutching my hair tighter, but instead of getting turned on, what I felt was the exact opposite.

I really couldn’t concentrate.  Something was just not right.

Slowly, I lifted my mouth from Blair’s.  She pouted, embracing me.  As I held her form I couldn’t help but shoot my eyes on the stairs right across us.  It’s Cay.  I sensed the minute she walked out of the front hall, and a strange combination of dread and guilt crawled painfully at my chest.  It was like… betraying her somehow.

But I needed to forget this crazy attraction.  I had to.  My attention should be to the woman in my arms who was nothing but good to me.  I had to make it up to her.  It was the least that I could do after all the muddle I’d been into.

Taking Blair’s hand, I pulled her to the living room.  She instantly saw Lizzie’s sleeping form and strode to her, sat on the carpeted floor and gave the little girl a kiss on the cheeks.  I smiled, suddenly remembering Cay’s fondness of my niece.  But then I shook my head, recalling my earlier resolution and gently patted Lizzie’s shoulders.

“Sweetie, wake up.  Blair’s here,” I crooned softly.

Her lids fluttered and opened, smiled sleepily and looked at me and then at Blair, “Morning Blair, morning Uncle Luc.”  Yawning, she wiped her eyes and held out her arms, silently asking me to carry her.

I lifted her small form, and Blair stood up and touched her face.  “Darling, why were you sleeping on the sofa?”

Lizzie placed her head on my shoulder and answered groggily, “Uncle Luc, Miss Cay and I were watching a movie last night.”

“Miss Cay?  The new nanny?”  She inquired.

“Uh-huh.”

Blair looked at me.  “Is she staying here?”

“Yes, she is.”

“With you?”

“With me and Lizzie,” I answered.

“I see.”

I could sense that there was something else she wanted to say, but decided to hold on to it until later.  No doubt she’d bring it up the moment we were alone.

Distract her.  “Have you eaten?”

She lifted her eyes to me.  “That’s the reason I came here early, actually.  To ask you and Lizzie to go out for breakfast.  I know this great place where they serve those big pancakes with the best maple syrup.  It’s divine.”