XI

Steve laid in my arms that night.

He was tear stained and worked up. This happened a lot with royal children. They would bottle until they overflowed.

Silent tears still escaped Steve's eyes. I massaged his scalp lightly.

I moved to kiss his forehead before resting my chin on his head. He hugged me closer.

"Sweetheart. Let's get you some tea or something." I said. He sighed and curled into me more.

I kissed his cheek and sat up, handing him some water. He took it and took a couple sips.

I moved some of his hair behind his ear. He wiped his tears a bit.

"I don't think I've cried since I was twelve." He said. I sighed and smiled.

"Reason number one thousand why I hate being a royal." I whispered. "I'm honestly just glad that we aren't king and queen."

He nodded and laid his head on me again. "I'm so sorry." He whispered, starting to cry again.

I couldn't help but smile. I set him on the bed and got on his lap, wiping the tears.

I was in my nightgown. He was shirtless and in his underpants.

He smiled through the sobs.

I kissed him gently. "It's alright. Everything's alright. And we'll be alright." I whispered. He nodded.

"I love you." He said. I kissed him again.

He brought me in more. I giggled.

"You're too sweet for this world steven." I whispered.

"And you're a liar for that." He said and smiled. I rolled my eyes.

"You need sleep." I said.

He nodded and gave me a smile.

I laid back next to him. He pulled me in.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too."

•••

I woke up to the sound of rustling in the room. I can't get some fucking sleep anywhere.

I opened my eyes to see Steve putting on armor. I sat up.

"Steve?"

"Kingdoms have been compromised by ultrons army. I've gotta go."

"You as in avengers or the kingdom?"

"Shield has teamed up. So it's all of our kingdoms." He said. "My father and I have to leave right away. Bucky as well."

I looked at him. He gave me a soft smile while grabbing his shield. "I will be fine Junie. Don't give me that look."

"How long will you be gone?"

"Longest is a month, shortest is four days."

"What if I'm pregnant and you don't come back for a month?"

"Then that will be a wonderful surprise to come home to now won't it? And I'm hoping you are. It's bound to happen." He said as he came over and kissed me.

"Please come back alive. And with all limbs." I whispered.

"Okay." He said.

He started walking out but I got out of bed and ran over to him. He immediately turned around and pulled me up into a hug, dropping his shield.

The night before did not help that he was leaving now.

"I love you." He whispered as he held me tight. My feet were off the ground from his height.

He set me down and kissed me passionately.

"Keep my mother company will you?" He asked. I nodded.

"I don't want to say goodbye." I whispered. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Then don't. I'll see you later." He said.

I nodded.

He gave me a wink before grabbing his shield and walking out, leaving me to myself.

I shivered lightly. It was early dawn. There was no point in going back to sleep.

I got ready by myself and went out to the great hall. I found Sarah in the library early that morning.

"Good morning Sarah." I said.

"Oh! Child! I didn't think you'd be up. I thought Steve would've made you go back to sleep." She said.

I sighed. "No. I couldn't go back to sleep anyways." I said as I sat in a chair across from her.

"The whole east side is going on this fight. I'm not sure what to think." She said.

"Well I think that with this big of an army, our side will win. I'm sure everyone will be fine. They will probably have a bruise or two but...I'm confident in the abilities. And they have the avengers."

Sarah hummed in agreement. "I just- I hope I have good news for Steve when he comes back."

She smiled. "I'm sure you will. Was he okay after I left last night? He seemed off."

I gave her a sad stare. "Honestly, he broke down. And he told me it was the first time he has cried since he was twelve."

She sighed softly. "Yeah. He seemed very worked up about everything. He cares so much about you. He thought he was going to lose you last night."

I shook my head. "No. I was glad we had talked. It was my parents fault."

She nodded. "I'm sorry for all the ruckus. Has it been like this since you were a child?"

I nodded. "In the best way to put it, I'm their whore that they can throw around. Tony has never been treated like I have. I was the mistake anyways. They only wanted one child."

"That doesn't give them the right to treat you like that! Some people are less fortunate..." she stopped. "I'm sorry."

"Sarah. Are you alright?"

She sighed. "Steve had a little brother. He passed when he was eight. Steve was twelve. Matthew was his best friend. Ever since then, Steve really lost his spark."

I didn't meet Steve until he was fourteen, so it made sense that I had never heard of a brother.

I sighed. "I'm so sorry Sarah."

She smiled. "Funny thing was that Matthew was a mistake too. Joseph and I were not expecting him. But he was a bundle of joy. He died of tuberculoses. That's part of the reason why Steve has been so hesitant to start having a child...I shouldn't be telling you that."

"It's alright. Im quite glad that I know. It will help us better understand the process." I said.

She nodded. "I have a feeling you're going to be a great mother. You calm Steve down as well. You two are a good match."

I smiled "thank you."

She nodded.

For the first times in my life in Brooklyn, I realized what having a good mother felt like. Sarah was a breath of fresh air, and I wanted to be just like her.