XII

I woke up to the sounds of men and talking.

It had been three weeks since Steve left. I hadn't seen or heard from him.

Until the sounds of voices were outside.

I sat up, just as the door opened.

Bucky.

"Bucky...where's Steve?" I asked suddenly.

"Princess. You need to get dressed and come quick."

"Did something happen to my husband?"

"No. He's fine...just..now." He said. I quickly got up and put on a dress and corset, leaving my hair down. I slipped on my shoes and put on a cloak, being it was the middle of the night. I set my tiara on my head.

Bucky was waiting outside of my room.

"Bucky somethings wrong." I said. "Is Nat alright? I know she was with and I don't like her out there but-"

"Natasha isn't of importance at the moment." He said, shutting me up.

I looked down. He led me to the great hall.

Wails were echoing across the room.

Oh no.

What was going on?

I ran into the great hall. Sarah was sobbing.

Steve was there. He was holding his mother.

Where was Joseph?

The avengers were there. Tony was...Tony was crying.

He saw me and came over immediately.

"You need to go outside. James why did you bring her out here...Natasha." Tony said.

I looked at him, confusion on my face.

"Whats wrong? Where is Joseph? Why are you crying?" I asked.

"Charlotte." Natasha said.

She forced me out with Tony. We were outside in the gardens.

"Tony what is going on what happened why isn't anyone telling me-"

"Manhattan was hit." Tony said.

I stayed silent. A lump was found in my throat.

"Who died?" I asked, holding everything in.

"Joseph, father, and later mother was found beheaded."

I looked at him, confused. "Did you or did you not win? Is this kingdom in danger now?"

"No. We won. There was just...fatalities." He whispered. He was trying to hold in his tears.

Natasha rubbed my back.

"Is Steve alright?" I asked. "Is Sarah?"

"Charlotte you just lost both of your parents!" Tony said.

"Yeah. And guess what? My parents don't have to worry about the other because they're both dead. Mother and father didn't love each other anyways. Sarah and Joseph did." I said.

Tony was crying. "Everything of Manhattan is gone. Wiped. The castle is in flames."

I stared at Natasha. She nodded.

I heard yelling.

"Where the fuck is my wife?!" I heard. Steve stepped outside and saw me. He was sobbing. Bucky was behind him.

He came over and pulled me into a hug as he sobbed into my shoulder.

I was going to stay strong for him. Because he had to stay strong for his mother.

Tony was crying too.

"Tony. Go clean up. You have a place to stay here." I said. "It's alright."

He nodded. Natasha and Bucky took him inside, leaving me to Steve.

I kissed Steve's neck.

"Sweetheart." I whispered. He pulled away and moved to kiss me softly, tears still streaming down his face.

"I- we're- Charlotte I-"

"Shhh. Relax." I said. He rested his forehead against mine.

"Deep breaths. In and out." I said. He took a couple deep breaths with me.

"There. There you go." I whispered. I moved to gently wipe his tears away with my thumbs. He leaned into my touch so quickly.

"Let's get you out of this armor and washed up. I've got you." I said.

•••

Steve sat in the tub while I folded up some clean clothes for him to put on afterwards. He was still crying.

I didn't know if I should go check on Tony or Sarah or stay here with my husband. I knew that Sarah had maids that she was close with...Tony had the avengers here...but I felt like it was my duty.

I walked into the washroom after everything was set out. I kneeled in front of the tub and kissed Steve's head.

"Charlotte." He said.

"Yes?"

"Are you pregnant?" He asked. I sighed.

"No." I whispered. "I'm sorry. I wanted to give you good news."

He nodded. "It's alright."

I stared at him. He moved to hold my hand. He sat back in the tub.

I stood up and took off my corset and dress. Steve stared at me.

"I've missed you." He whispered.

"Shhh." I said as I got into the water with him. I pulled him in to lay on me.

He sighed and kissed my neck.

"Thank you." He said.

"Always."

•••

I got Steve to bed, before checking on Tony, who was asleep, and then Sarah. She was with her maids.

I came in and sat down in front of her while she silently cried, holding her husbands crown.

"Queen." I whispered and took the crown out of her hands. She sighed loudly and moved her hands to my face.

"Hi sweet girl." She said.

I smiled. "You need sleep."

She nodded. "Did Steve tell you?"

"I know about my parents yes."

"No. You and Steve will become king and queen."

I stared at her. I wasn't going to crack.

"Thats alright. We will figure it all out. But you are exhausted. Please get some rest. Your son is sleeping. Everyone here is alright."

She nodded. She ended up laying back.

"Good. Nice." She said. "All my love."

She nodded and got comfortable. I kissed her forehead.

"Come to my room if you need anything." I whispered. "Goodnight."

Her maids were waiting outside.

"Watch her." I said. They nodded.

I walked silently back to my room, holding my abdomen from the tears. I stopped before walking in, focusing on my breathing.

Steve and I were gonna be...

The king and queen of Brooklyn.

We had the throne.