Chapter Ten

"Come on! We're almost there!" Tsireya shouted at us before diving back into the water with her Ilu. She and Rotxo were bringing us somewhere and were very adamant about it--their excitement radiating off of them.

Neteyam and I glanced at each other before following after them, Kiri following us with Tuk on her Ilu as well.

We swam beneath a large rock before rising to the surface again. The sight was breathtaking. Pieces of land floated in the air as the sun glared above it all.

Neteyam swam beside me, the boy looking at me with a wide smile. It felt like the more we explored, the more astonishing it got.

"This is the Cove of the Ancestors, our most sacred place," Tsireya explained, leading us deeper into the cove. "Eclipse is the best time of day to be here."

As the planet moved in front of our sun, a gorgeous blue glow shone from beneath us. Tsireya and Rotxo lead us to it, stopping just above it.

"This is it," Tsireya smiled, "this is the spirit tree."

As I peered into the water, I realized that it looked similar to the Tree of Souls back in the forest. Making the connection warmed my heart, and it made me feel closer to home.

"Come on," Rotxo told us, jumping off his Ilu and swimming down towards it.

Neteyam gave me a quick nod before following after. As I jumped in, my skin tingled as I felt something different about the water surrounding the tree.

We swam down to a batch of leaves. Tsireya looked at us all with a bright smile, signaling for us to attach our queues to the leaf.

I did as told, a cool sensation flowing through me once I did. Then, I was back in the forest.

As I walked through the cluster of trees, my eyes landed on my mother and father kneeling beside a river. My heart dropped as I broke into a sprint.

"Mom! Dad!" I threw my arms around them, instantly finding comfort in their embrace as tears streamed down my face.

"Oh, Ayn'at," my mother whispered, rubbing her hand along my back.

My father held the back of my head. "My little warrior."

I pulled away from them, examining their faces—feeling as though if I looked away, I would forget what they looked like. My mother's hand made its way to my cheek as she looked at me endearingly, a big smile spreading across her face.

"I miss you guys so much," I cried, leaning into my mom's hand.

"You are so strong, Ayn'at," dad smiled. "Keep being a little warrior. You can do it."

"Even the darkest of stars-"

"-brighten up the night sky," I finished for my mother. "I know. It's just so hard."

"The storm will pass, Ayn'at," mom pulled my hands into her own. "Don't run away from your feelings, and don't isolate yourself from everyone. Let them help you."

I nodded, thankful for their presence. Suddenly, they looked off into the distance. The pulled me to my feet, looking at me worriedly.

"Go, your friend needs you." My mother lightly pushed me away.

I nodded my head. "I see you." I took one last look at them before closing my eyes.

When I opened them again, I was underwater. My eyes shifted to my right as they landed on Kiri—she was convulsing. In an instant, Neteyam was swimming over and dragging her up to the surface. I helped him pull her up as everyone followed.