Chapter Six

The next day, we stood at the edge of one of the docks. Tsireya, Aonung and his friend, Rotxo, jumped into the water. I watched hesitantly, looking down as they waved us to join them.

Taking a step forward, Neteyam pulled my arm. "Come on!" He pulled me into the water, a scream escaping my throat just before my body sunk in. Lo'ak and the girls followed right after, but I couldn't bring my attention to them.

I felt overstimulated as I took in our surroundings. It was like the forest but underwater. Many creatures swam by as beautiful reefs sat around us. I looked at Neteyam, the boy holding the same bewilderment as me. His bubbly mouth attempted a smile while trying to contain the air inside his cheeks. I smiled back, before noticing Tsireya and the boys moving on without us.

He looked at Lo'ak and I, pointing in their direction. We nodded as we all followed behind them. I let my jaw relax as I swam easily through the water, taking every second I had to admire the scenery. I felt a tail hit my side. Looking over, I noticed Lo'ak and Neteyam quickly swimming toward the surface.

Confused, I followed them. As my head reached above water, I took in a breath and looked at Neteyam. "What's wrong?"

"I cannot breathe!" He exclaimed. I laughed at his frustration, Lo'ak holding the same expression as his brother. We put our heads below the water, looking at Tsireya as she made hand movements to her. Not understanding, Lo'ak and Neteyam threw their hands up. But she just smiled and waved us to follow.

When we reached our heads back up for air, I turned to Neteyam. "Just take a deep breath and relax."

"Like it's that easy," he huffed.

I laughed, "Because it is." I felt his tail hit my side playfully, but I was already below the water, swimming toward Tsireya. As they lead us deeper, the reefs began to thin out and there was just sand. Tsireya and the boys turned to look at us, but I felt someone pull my arm. Neteyam looked between me and Lo'ak, motioning with his hands that he couldn't breathe. The two brothers rose up again towards the surface, leaving me with Tsireya and the boys.

Tsireya tilted her head, looking at me questioningly. But I just shrugged and swam up. They followed behind, and when we met them, she immediately turned to Lo'ak. "Are you alright?"

"You're too fast! Wait for us," Tuk complained.

"Just breathe," Tsireya spoke calmly.

"You're not good divers," Aonung snickered when he rose up. "Maybe good at swimming through trees but-" Tsireya smacked the boy's head, earning a snicker from me.

"Come on, bro," Lo'ak uttered.

Neteyam sighed, "We don't speak this-" he made random movements with his hands, "-finger talk, you guys. We don't know what you're saying."

I felt something in me soften at his frustration. Neteyam was a natural athlete, it was rare that he wasn't good at something, so it was rare that he was genuinely frustrated with himself. And when it did happen, he would beat himself up for it. He calculated his self-worth based on if he was good at what he did.

I gently placed my hand on his shoulder, "And I am sure they will teach us, Neteyam." His eyes softened when they looked into mine, and I gave him a light smile. I turned to Tsireya, "Right?"

"Yes, I will teach you."

"Where is Kiri?" Rotxo blurted, bringing our attention to him.

"Who?" Aonung asked.

"Kiri!" his friend exclaimed. "Where is Kiri?"

My eyes met Neteyam's as we shared the same shock. I calmed myself down, though. "She is probably just exploring. She does that a lot, she's okay."