Chapter 18

Hey guys, again I'm so sorry for being away but exams and all are serious shit :/ Just saying the story is getting close to the end. Enjoy ! :)

"All in all you're just another brick in the wall !" I was singing in my head as the Pink Floyd song was playing in my earphones. I was on the train, direction Seattle to visit the apartment I would live in soon enough. I was thoughtful, peacefully resting my head on the glass of the window, my eyes were following the way and observing the landscape as I was picturing myself studying in this beautiful city.

I had talked to my roommate earlier in the week. The phone call lasted about an hour as we were casually chatting about college. She was really nice. Her name was Jenna, she was my age and we were going to the same university. She had bought the apartment a few months ago but her job in a clothes shop couldn't pay it all, that's why she needed a roommate. She was a very friendly person and I was feeling confident, convinced that we would spend good times together.

I soon got off the train, made my way to the exit and called a taxi to lead me at the good address. I didn't want to get lost on my first time here. I watched the beauty of the city through the window again, my eyes filled of joy and dreams. Finally. That was the word repeating on my mind. This was exactly how I had expected it to be and I loved it. I had dreamt of this day for more than 3 years and it was finally happening.

The taxi dropped me in front of a building. It was surprisingly huge but still fitting with the pictures I had seen on the internet. I looked down at my phone on which I had noted the address. 5th floor apt A. I called Jenna and she didn't take more than a second to answer :

"Hey ! You here already !! Wait a sec I unloch the door for ya ! 5th floor !" She said quickly with an exited tone. She was always like that. Some could see her as hyperactive but she was just a caffeine adept.

"Thanks..." I tried to reply before the hanged up the phone.

The door unlocked and I got inside, going straight to the elevator. I pressed the button '5' and looked at myself in the mirror in front of me. I couldn't take this smile off of my face but whatever I guess. The doors opened and walked through the corridor, looking for the apartment A. I stepped behind the door, sighed and knocked.

I heard footsteps running towards me and open. Jenna's smile was the same as mine if it wasn't even bigger now. She looked awesome with her green hair and her nose ring.

"Emilyyyyy ! So glad to meet you !" She exclaimed, gesturing me to come in.

"Hi !" I sais shyly and stepped inside.

She didn't wait a minute to make me discover the place, starting by the kitchen. It was small and there was not much material to cook.

"I know, I'm not a good cook. I just use to order food here. Hope you don't mind." She read in my eyes.

"Won't change much from my habits !" I nodded, smiled at her and opened the cupboard near me. I giggled at what I saw : fluff, peanut butter, oreos, all types of cereals, crackers and everything someone could ever wish for. "This is literally heaven !" I laughed, glancing at her as she was nodding in pride.

"Don't expect me to eat healthy, I just don't know what it means." She joked before taking me through a corridor and stopped by a closed white door. She gestured me to open it and we both stepped inside.

"This is your room. I tried to make the decoration as simple as possible." She said simply.

"Nice !" I nodded.

There wasn't much furniture. Just a bed in the middle, all white with a white bedside table, a small white lamp and 2 white chest of drawers at the other side of the room. The walls, like the pillows on the bed, were a sort of aqua color. In the back, there was a glass sliding door that was leading on the balcony.

"I'm afraid the room is too small for my music instruments..." I said, giving her an uncomfortable look, scared to offend her.

"Oh no it's fine ! You can still put some in the living room ! I like music, the sound won't bother me don't worry." She nodded and smiled.

"Cool" I just answered with a nod.

She finished showing me everything and we ended up on the balcony. The view from here was amazing. Jenna lit up a cigarette and came next me, resting her elbows on the barrier like I was and looking away.

"So, when are you moving in ?" She asked casually.

"After the holiday I guess." I glanced at her with a bright smile.

"Too bad, I thought we would spend it together ! You sure you don't wanna move before ?"

My huge smile suddenly dropped and turned into frustration. I bit my lower lip thoughtfully. I promised myself I would fully enjoy today without give a single thought to Vic but I guess I just failed. "No sorry I can't... Gotta say goodbye to some people." I said in a small voice, looking down at my feet.

"Oh yeah, I get it...Plus it's not like you live so close from here. Who is it ? A close friend ?" She asked curiously.

"A boyfriend actually." I corrected, still not crossing her look.

"Are you that close from each other ?"

"You have no idea !" I whispered with a laugh.

"So it ain't a problem for him to drive the way over here, huh ?"

"It's not about the road ! He would drive but long distance relationships are pointless anyway !" I paused and sighed. "He has his life planned and I have mine ! They're just different and we can't do much about it." I said in an annoyed voice. I didn't want to get into the details of that one struggle right now, not with someone I didn't know that well. Plus, even if Jenna was a nice girl, my boyfriend stayed part of my personal business.

The rest of the day went fine. Jenna and I spent it together, mostly in town, hanging around like 2 friends. She showed me the university and the principal places I had to know how to get to. Then she took me back to the train station.

"See ya in September !" She said, waving at me as I was getting on the train. I waved back at her with a smile on my face and went to sit down.

I took my phone out and saw that I had a message from Chris. "So how's it going in the north ? ;)" it said. I frown my eyebrows in surprise. Since when did he care ? I didn't think much about it. I replyed a simple "Awesome !" and plugged my earphones when the train left.