Chapter 19

One day, you get to that point when you're randomly daydreaming about the future and what you want to do with your life and you suddenly realize that it's now your present. Then it hits you how time went so fast. And even though it's what you've always hoped for, you find yourself wishing that your innocent and peaceful childhood lasted longer. Because the future is scary, isn't it ? You're no longer as safe as you used to be. But there is still that part of excitement that makes you want to see what the future will be made of, how you will get through it and what kind of people you will meet there.

I was sat on the floor in the living room with a bag of skittles and a book which I wasn't really paying attention to. The silence was distracting me. There wasn't the usual baby cries or the sound of the fridge door slamming...This and the emptiness of the place was leaving me thoughtful.

It had been 2 days since Chris and his new family moved away. They had taken everything with them of course. There was only my personal stuff left. And I would just spend hours sitting on the floor and looking around, like waiting for something to happen. Without anyone or anything here, my days were made of boredom. I spent them on my phone, desperately texting the boys to hang out, but they were all spending most of their time working for some extra money before college starts.

But today I had enough. I got up from the floor, put my book away and grabbed a bag. In it, I put a random blanket from my room before grabbing the keys of the house. I was walking to the supermarket to buy some food. I didn't have much money but home made sandwiches and some sodas would do. I was planning to surprise Vic with a romantic little picnic. Or at least as romantic as I was possibly able to make it. Romance wasn't my thing so much but I guess it was worth the try.

After buying everything, I walked as far as the Hot Topic store where Vic was working. It wasn't so much of an exciting job but at least he could meet new people with the same interests and talk about music all day. I came into the shop and immediately found him. He was casually chatting with a who seemed to be colleague of his and a client who was holding a MCR shirt. I quietly approached him by the back and placed a peck on his cheek. He suddenly stopped talking and turned to me with eyes full of surprise.

"Emily ! What are you doing here ?" He asked with a big smile.

"Just hanging around... I was wondering if you were out for a break."

"Hm...yeah sure !" He hesitated before turning back to his colleague, giving him a questioning look.

"You can go, it's okay." He said.

Vic's face brightened again as he nodded thankfully. He took off his badge of employee and put it in his pocket before leading me to the exit.

"I didn't expect to see you around here !" He said, wrapping his arm around my waist as we were walking.

"I was bored at home so I thought I would just come and bother my busy boyfriend." I answered with a smile.

He giggled. "Okay, what did you plan ?"

"Wandering in the park or whatever..."

"Let's go then !" He smiled and slid his arm off me to take my hand.

We got to the park and found a cosy spot. I put the blanket on the grass and sat. I gave a look at Vic who was standing near me, waiting for him to do the same.

"How romantic !" He said in a sarcastic voice.

"I tried my best, okay ? Don't tell me you can do better !"

He smiled and sat next to me before sliding my hair behind my ear and kiss my cheek.

"I can do better." He said with a wink.