2. Coming To Terms With It

"Mama," Maddie whimpered in fear.

Andy and Carina shared a look between the two of them. Andy was dumbfounded by her best friend's actions while Carina was still in complete disbelief.

The Italian woman couldn't help but notice how broken the blonde teenager looked, feeling so fragile.

"Does... Does Mama hate me now?" The teenager asked.

"Bambina, no, of course not!" Carina protested, shaking her head.

"Really?" Maddie quietly questioned.

"Your Mom does not and could not ever hate you," Carina told the blonde girl.

"Perhaps, I could go and talk to her?" Andy offered.

"No, I will," Carina sighed, standing up.

The woman looked at her daughter concerned.

"I'll keep an eye on Maddie. Go talk to your wife," Andy encouraged with a kind smile.

Carina nodded, standing up from her chair before she walked out of the hospital room leaving the two of them.

"You doin' okay there, Mija?" The older woman asked.

Maddie sat up in the bed, looking at the bandages on her wrists as she let out a small sigh.

"I've completely screwed up my entire life, and my mom's are so disappointed in me," Maddie mumbled, trying to pull the thin sheets further up towards her.

"Nobody's disappointed with you, Mads. I think it's just a bit of a shock for your Mom, and you know that your Mama will be here to support you, and she'll talk some sense into your Mom," Andy explained gently.

"They both will," She added, leaning forward and squeezing her hand in reassurance.

"I-I don't know what to do," Maddie admitted.

"You don't have to make any sort of decision yet. It's early days," Andy told her.

"You don't have to rush and make a choice, Mija. You can take your time in this," She added.

Maddie nodded faintly and looked down at her bandaged wrists again.

"Well, hospital sucks... I didn't even work," The blonde mumbled.

"Mija! You shouldn't say things like that," Andy scolded her niece.

"I'm sorry... Dark humour helps sometimes," The teenager continued to mumble.

Andy chuckled and shook her head amusedly.

"You definitely do have a dark sense of humour there, Mija," The woman stated.

"Maya?" Carina walked out the doors of the hospital and looked around in search for her wife.

Maya peered from around the corner and exhaled a sigh.

"I'm here, I'm sorry, I- I just needed a breather," The blonde apologised.

"Maya, you ran out on our daughter," Carina stated in disbelief.

"I know... I just... I couldn't... I- I had a flashback and suddenly I was 15 years old again in the same position that my daughter is now in," Maya confessed to her wife.

"It doesn't matter how you feel, Maya. How do you think it made Maddie feel when you just ran out on her like that? She thinks that you hate her now," Carina told her.