13. Champion!

"Woo!" Maddie cheered loudly, clapping her hands together

"Woo!" Maddie cheered loudly, clapping her hands together. "Yes, go on, Mom! Go on, Mom!" she exclaimed, watching the blonde run to the finish line.

It was the day of the 10K race to raise money for the clinic and Maddie was stood amongst the crowd, watching with anticipation as she cheered Maya on to win the race, of course. A whole bunch of firefighters' had some together to take part and the teenager honestly thought it was great to see them all come together for this, and she would be lying if she said she wasn't slightly intrigued to meet the newest chief and see what she was all about.

"Hi squirt," Vic appeared beside her niece as she greeted her quietly.

"Auntie Vic," The blonde teen turned to look at the older women slightly surprised that she had even turned up, she couldn't help but feel concerned about her auntie who hadn't really even spoken to her that much other than when they were at the hospital the other day, but the teenager understood it was probably difficult to grasp the idea of the pregnancy and didn't want to talk about it. "I didn't think you'd be here today." she admitted wearily.

"Yeah, uh, guess that I needed some fresh air," Vic explained quietly, shoving her hands in her pockets. "And I need to talk to your Mama as well I guess." she added.

Maddie nodded in understanding and smiled sympathetically, she wasn't sure what words would be right to say right now, "Oh yeah, uh, I know... I guess I know what you mean," she stumbled across her words. "So, uh, how-- how are you feeling?" she asked hesitantly.

"Can we... Can we not talk about this?" Vic asked bluntly, realising automatically that she sounded kind of harsh to niece. "Sorry. I just can't talk about this right now, squirt. So let's talk about something else, hey? Uh school... Hows' that going for you?" she wondered.

"Uh, well, I'm doing online school for the rest of the semester. I got suspended, remember?" Maddie reminded the older women. "It was too late to get into another school, so online homeschooling it is." she told her.

"Right, course, I remember now," Vic agreed, nodding her head slightly. "What happened again?" she asked.

"Fight with another student," Maddie stated.

Vic nodded once again in agreement, "Oh course, yeah, I remember. How about your soccer. You still do that, right?" she asked.

"Uh, no, not anymore," Maddie replied, shaking her head in disagreement. "I had to quit, well because it was a team at school, and well, Sarah was also on the team. Guess it made it difficult to be a part of it." she admitted. "Maybe once the twins are born then I can join another team though. I don't want to give up on soccer." she insisted.

Vic's facial expression faltered slightly at the mention of the twins and Maddie realised that she shouldn't have mentioned the girls so soon, so thought it was probably best to change the subject of conversation.