Chapter 15

I made quite the entrance when I walked into the bar. I knew that because all seven pairs of eyes in the bar pivoted to take in my appearance, and the jaw on the gorgeous blonde bartender dropped so far, I thought it might bounce off the wooden bar she was standing behind. But really, they hadn't seen a limping 6'2" barefoot black woman strolling into a bar looking like she just won a wet tee shirt contest?

Probably not.

I had to take off my glasses, as the rainwater on them had fogged up quickly, then I got a chance to look around. There was a booth of four older gentlemen in the far left corner, with more booths lining the wall. A pool table in back had a pair of men who had stopped playing to look at me, and the bartender just had her eyes running up and down me, as though trying to figure out which of my issues were fixable. Right now, none of them were. I plopped onto a barstool at the end next to the wall and leaned my head against the cool paneling as the bartender came over to check on me.

I had to admit, even in my current grief, I could tell she was hot. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she had a tight black tee shirt with the bar's name, Jack's, on it along with a tight pair of jeans. She had pretty hazel eyes, and a concerned expression on her face as she leaned on the bar in front of me.

"You look like you've had one hell of a day," she said in a kind voice.

I opened my mouth to reply, but I couldn't help but let out a sob and started crying again. It was ugly crying, with my nose running and tears pouring from my eyes. By the time she ran around the bar and pulled me into a warm embrace, I was hiccupping. She didn't say anything, just holding me until I was all cried out, and I really appreciated it. It was just what I needed, and it took a stranger to give it to me. She was so damned tiny that her head was buried in my soggy boobs, but she didn't complain, she just rubbed circles on my back and kept whispering over and over that it would be okay. I hung onto her like she was a life preserver in a storm, not wanting to let go.

And maybe she was right. Maybe I could just ignore Tegan and things would be okay. It wasn't like I was emotionally invested in the relationship; it was just sex. But to me it was the betrayal and the exposure to that other asshole, and the embarrassment of being literally caught naked in her bed. Oh, and the fact that I didn't see any way that it wasn't a deliberate act on her part to humiliate me. It hurt. What had I done to deserve that?

"Are you feeling a little better?" came the muffled voice from my cleavage.

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry," I mumbled as I loosened my grip. "I didn't mean to do that."

"Don't worry. It wasn't the first time I've had my face between some breasts, and I hope it won't be the last. Though yours are rather spectacular. Now, can we get you some dry clothes before the guys in the corner come hit on you and your nipples?" I turned to look at the guys and saw one of them headed our way. "Shit, too late."

"Hey there little lady," he drawled in a deep voice that was no doubt accentuated by his rather large belly. "Maybe you need a man to help cheer you up." Not once did his eyes leave my chest, and I looked down, dismayed at just how much of me was visible through my shirt. Why the hell did I wear white today?

"Harry, leave her alone, okay? She had a rough night, and you staring at her breasts isn't going to help," the bartender said, moving between us so he couldn't see my chest anymore.

"Oh, come on Skye! We never get to see good boobs in this place!" he complained.

"Hey!" Skye said, pointing at her own breasts. For the record, they were damned gorgeous too. And I liked the name. Skye. Like flying high.

"You know what I mean! Yours are only for girls! Us guys need some too!"

"Harry, go stand in the rain for five damned minutes and come back. Your man boobs are almost as big as mine, and you can give your table mates a little show instead of harassing my girlfriend!" Skye said, poking him in the sternum.