family dinner

a/n: i don't remember if i said the dads name or not so if i did and i changed it that is my bad lol, but his name is gonna be henry and her mothers name is eliana:)

tw: verbal and slight physical abuse

sodapop's pov

if smiling was a person, it'd be finley. I don't think I've ever seen her stop smiling, if she does it's only for a good reason. "no because if I lived here my whole life I wouldn't have my charming accent that for some reason, makes you swoon," she said as we walked up the steps to my house. "but if you lived here maybe we would've met a long time ago," I said, opening the door. "your accent is pretty cute tho,"

her cheeks went pink and she walked inside. it's been about a week and a half since our second date,
we've basically been going out since, just not with labels.

"the lovebirds are back!" steve said. "yeah, anybody got dinner ready? I'm starvin," I said. "make it yourself starvin," darry said. "there's left over pizza in the fridge," ponyboy said. "cold pizza, my favorite," finley said and jumped up from the couch. she went over and grabbed a piece and turned around with it in her mouth.

"good?" I laughed. "yes," she said, muffled by the mouth full of food. she looked down and a little bit of cheese had fallen. "oh bloody hell," she said and picked it up. she looked toward the sink, then me.

"don't even think about it gray," I said. "think about what?" she asked. "you know," I said. she laughed and threw the cheese at me. "you're gonna get it," I said. "you make a mess you clean it," darry said. "fine," I said and grabbed a piece of pizza, sitting down.

"hey uh, jackson said he heard my gran talking about how my dads coming back again in a few days, he wants to have a family dinner and stuff and I just don't want to be alone with them-," "I'll be there,"
I said. "can I ask a question though? I don't know if it'll be offensive but I'm curious,"

"how jackson overheard if he's deaf?" she asked and I nodded. "lip reading," she said. "oh," I said. I feel like that should've been obvious. "hey you two stop flirting over there and come play games," steve called.

finley's pov, three days later

"what if he loses his temper in front of you? I don't want him to scare you off," I said to soda. "he won't, if anything it'll make me want to punch him, and hug you forever," he said, grabbing my hands. "look gray, I know it's scary when he's here, but I'm not gonna let him hurt you again,"

I kissed his cheek and smiled. "thank you," I said. but what happens once he's not there?

"finley! he's here!" gran yelled. "moment of truth," he said. we went downstairs and my dad walked in. "kill me," I said to jackson and he held in his laugh. "hi dad," I said, hiding slightly behind sodapop's shoulder.

"finley," my dad said. "go get me a beer,"

I sucked in as much air as I could. I grabbed one from the fridge and threw it to him before realizing that was stupid. he caught it and his jaw clenched. "fuck me," I whispered, barely audible for anyone to hear. soda looked at me and smiled. the million dollar smile he always had.

"so, sodapop right? that's an interesting name," he said. "yeah, my dad was a pretty original guy," soda said. "it's great to officially meet your sir," he said and held a hand out for my dad to shake. he shook it.

"so are you dating my daughter?" he asked. soda looked at me, practically asking me with his eyes. I nodded. "yes sir, I am," he smiled. my dad looked at me. "you really chose to date her our if the many girls in oklahoma?" he asked him. I felt my chest get tight. "yes I did sir, and she's amazing," he said. "well, you have fun with that, what's for dinner amelia?" he asked.

I took small, shaky breaths, looking at jackson after grandpa finished translating. "ignore him," he said. "I would if it was that easy,"

I walked over and sat down with soda as gran put food on my plate. "thank you," I said. "I made some pasta with out meat for you henry," gran said. "thanks," he said. "finley, get the salt will you?"

"yes sir," I said and went over to the stove. I grabbed it, handed it too him carefully, and sat back down. I sat mostly in silence. "so how long are ya in town for?" grandpa asked. "just two days, I'll be staying at a motel," he said. "don't wanna be around finley any longer than necessary," he said, laughing. he tried to act as if it was a joke but we all knew it wasn't.

"so uh, how's work been going?" gran asked. "busy," he said. "you had that big deal about a week ago right? the one that you've been waiting for, for like a year or so?" I asked. "unfortunately," he said.

"not go well?" I asked. "clearly it didn't finley," he said. "I'm sorry," I said. "don't pretend you aren't enjoying my failure, that's all you've ever wanted for me," he said. "of course it isn't," I said. "I really am sorry," I said, trying to choose my words carefully. "don't be a prat," he said. "I'm sorry sir," I said and looked down at my lap. "you really are an idiot," he said shaking his head.

"now that just isn't true," gran said. "sure it is amelia, have you seen her?" he asked insincerely. "yes and I think she's real smart," she said. "well she isn't," he said. "she's an ignorant brat, sometimes I wish it had been her and not her mother,"

"now that's enough henry!" gran said and hit the table, standing up. "all of us miss eliana, alright we all do! but that is no reason to go wish death upon your daughter, now get out of my damn house!" she yelled. I could see jackson trying to read her lips since she wasn't signing and I just shook my head.

"fine, but I would like a word with my daughter first," he said. "on the porch,"

I didn't want to get in more trouble so I went out onto the porch. he followed suite. "you brought up that deal so I would snap didn't you?" he asked. "no sir," I said. "speak up you shit," he said. "no sir," I said a little louder.

"I'm sorry," I said. "you always are, now you better get it together by the time you come back home do you understand me?" he asked. I nodded. "I said do you understand me?!" he yelled. "yes!" I said loudly.

"you ever embarrass me like that in front of your boyfriend again and you'll regret it finley," he said grabbing my hair and pulling it down. "now promise me you'll be fixed by then," he said. "I promise," I said and winced as he pulled harder. "I swear!" I said and he let go. "good," he said and walked down the steps to leave. 

"fuck," I whispered and went back inside.