The Words that Describe Our Perfection

Description: "And see your coat of arms here? It's a heart. And I know it's sort of on the nose, but that's what holds this part together. Heart." Mike couldn't help but stare at Will, transfixed, did Will feel it too? Everything between them?

"Because, I mean, without heart, we'd all fall apart. Even El. Especially El." Will looks away from him again after that, but Mike doesn't. His friends liked to tease him relentlessly for being 'totally oblivious' but he didn't think they were right. He could hear Will's hidden meaning.

'Without heart, we'd all fall apart. Even me. Especially me.'

--

OR: Mike Wheeler is not as oblivious as people make him out to be. He understands what Will is saying in the van, he understands it's Will's words. He just doesn't realize that it wasn't what Will intended to convey to him. So when Will references him being the heart while El is fighting 001, Mike doubts his realization. He was wrong. Will didn't need him. El needed him, even though he was certain now that she wasn't the person for him.

Word Count: 6,991

Date Originally Posted: October 24th, 2022

A/N: Yooo I'm back on my Byler bs... like y'all I'm not even a writer but this ship literally makes me so insane. There's so many ways the Duffer's can go with it, so when I saw this Tumblr post: https://www.tumblr.com/willthecleric/698698413260324864/it-really-bothers-me-when-people-say-mike-was

that basically said Mike thought Will was talking about himself, but couldn't say that with Jonathan in the car, that he was prepared to break up with El, and that he was shocked and pained by realizing he was 'wrong' during the monologue... I naturally ate that shit up and had to do my version of it.

I'm a 'Mike is not as dumb and oblivious as we all think' truther!!! he's just a little confused by Will's actions.

Also in this fic Mike is gay! In my other fics it is more up for interpretation, so if you like Bi Mike more that's cool.

---------------------------------

Mike thinks this has probably been the worst spring break out of all spring breaks that anyone has ever had. He's not being dramatic, not when there is a psychopathic monster from an alternate dimension trying to kill his friends and family back in Hawkins.

For now, he was safe, but this safety was deeply unsettling. Jonathan was currently barreling through the brown desert, a desert that has looked the same for days at this point. The landscape all just blended together. Argyle was making random comments, currently high off his ass and Will was quiet, deep in thought like always.

When Will finally spoke up, it was a simple question, "How far is Nina from Vegas?"

Mike opens up his map to consult with it, "Um, as long as Suzie's coordinates are right, about another... ninety miles. Why?"

"Well, once we save her, El, we should stop on the way back." Will suggests, "El could make us, like, super rich, and we'd never have to work. We could just play D&D and Nintendo for the rest of our lives."

Mike wanted to laugh at that. He really did. The thought was funny, Will & El: Siblings in Crime, having the time of their lives committing fraud in Vegas. He missed El, and he hoped they could find her safe. The thought just made Mike a bit sad, because he didn't miss her the way he should, the way you miss someone you're in love with. He knew that now, especially after all the talks he had with Will. How he wanted to play D&D with Will for the rest of his life as well.

God. How did he not see it before? It wasn't until he was with Will in the room in California, it wasn't until the words were practically flowing out of his mouth before his brain could think them.