Purpose of Existence

His hand was still holding onto hers. His smile never left his face. He was happy that someone loved him and saved his life. He felt relieved over sadness. Actually, he no longer felt like going through the phase of depression.... At least, that's what he thinks. 

"Ne, Mikasa. I'm really sorry about before. Can you forgive me?" Eren spoke.

What's with this attitude all of a sudden? He's completely different from before... She noticed the small bruises painted on his body. He had small scratches here and there. Did he fight with someone?

"I-I uh, forgive you—"

"Thank you." He squeezed her hand in his, causing her to wince.

Silence was surrounding the two of them. Mikasa could feel tension between them. To her, this was very unusual of Eren. But then again, he's known to be a weird kid.

"So... Eren... A-About that promise I made to you..." Mikasa turns away to avoid his figure.

"You weren't really serious about the whole 'swallowing ten thousand needles' thing, right? What did you really mean—-"

Eren paused for a moment and stopped his tracks. He refused to turn around to face the girl. His grip on her hand began to tighten and tremble. At first, Mikasa was confused of why he stopped. 

"You thought that was a joke?" Eren's voice became shaky.

Mikasa blinked a couple times, not knowing what to say.

"That promise is the only reason why I stayed alive." Eren finally turned to face her with a deadly look in his eyes. They were wide open, staring into her own soul, as if they were digging deep down inside of her.

"You know that.... Right, Mikasa?" His eyes suddenly searched for sympathy, softening and sad.

"E-Eren-"

"You know that right??" He began grasping onto her arms, tightening his hold on her.

"You said that you will never abandon me, right? You promised. A promise is a promise... If Mikasa breaks it, Mikasa will have to swallow all of them, one by one, until she dies." Eren explained.

"Y-You're crazy..." Mikasa commented, feeling a drop of sweat running down her forehead.

"Crazy? Does that mean.... You're going to leave me now??" Eren shook her violently, wearing a pained expression.

"N-no. I was just asking hypothetically. I wasn't trying to insult you, Eren. I-I'm sorry." Mikasa rested her palms against his chest to calm him down.

"Mikasa... I was starting to worry." Eren sighed, loosening his tight hold.

Now I understand why Annie left him. This guys is completely nuts.

"I wonder what Mikasa is thinking about." Eren revealed his thoughts loudly.

"Me? Nothing. I'm just glad that you're here." Mikasa responded.

Eren's face lit up.

"Really?" He smiled.

"Yeah, we can definitely finish that project now that you're here with me." 

His lips suddenly turned upside down. It wasn't really an answer he was expecting.

"Yeah, I almost forgot." Eren stated as he takes Mikasa by her wrist, dragging her with him back to the classroom.