The Chase

A few months had passed since the incident. All of the clues Moonbyul and her team managed to dig up about Kang-Dae's whereabouts ended up being a waste of time. She knew he was purposely leaving breadcrumbs for her to follow, but she couldn't ignore it. He had made it personal and she wouldn't stop until he was behind bars.

The Commissioner didn't like wasting manpower on a wild goose chase. He left her alone, however, on the condition that the other cases her team was working on would not be affected. This meant there were very few chances she could use her whole team to go after Kang-Dae or chase down a clue the moment she came across it. She knew that Kang-Dae had probably calculated this outcome.

Moonbyul was studying the map, marking the new area they searched today. "That makes eleven," she mumbled. "Where will you go next? What are you planning?"

"I hate this. I hate this," Jade chanted as she filled out the paperwork.

A knock on the door interrupted them. "Detective Moon, there's an envelope for you."

"Who's it from?"

"There's no sender ID. We scanned it. It contains photos. Should we trash it?"

"No, I'll take it."

Moonbyul took out the contents and spread them on a table. She broke the pen she was holding in half the moment she laid her eyes on them. They were shots of her and her team raiding the places they had heard Kang-Dae was hanging around. He even featured himself in some, looking smug and flipping them off.

"He's playing with us!" Jade threw the photos she had in her hand on the table as hard as she could.

"We expected as much," Moonbyul said nonchalantly.

"Doesn't make it any less irritating!" she ruffled her hair and groaned.

"Being angry won't help."

"He was right there and we missed him!" she slammed her hand on the photo with Kang-Dae's smug face on it.

"What's going on?" Dong-Yul walked in, sipping on his coconut water.

"Give it here!" Jade snatched the drink and chugged it.

"My coconut..." he whimpered.

"I'm so angry!"

"I told you to do your paperwork earlier."

She ignored him. "More!" she screamed and stormed off.

"What's her problem?" He got his answer when he saw what was on the table. "Oh, I see. No wonder."

"He chose places where he could observe us...he wouldn't do that unless he had an escape plan prepared," Moonbyul mumbled.

"You're not angry?" Dong-Yul questioned.

"It won't help us find him."

"You're right," he picked up a few photos. "What do you think he's planning?"

"It didn't seem like he wanted to kill me, at least not yet. A bullet would have been enough if he did," she crossed her arms, pondering about Kang-Dae's true motive.

"Whatever he's planning, I think we should take the weekend to unwind," he raised his arms to stretch. "We've been chasing him non-stop. It might help to relax a bit. Don't you want to spend time with Solar? Go on a date?"

"Hmm...I haven't taken her anywhere since she's been back," she mumbled. "It might be nice to go somewhere together."

"Well it's about that time," Dong-Yul looked at his watch and waved. "See you next week. Let's hope we don't get called in."