Back to Square One

"Yong-Sun—" Moonbyul muttered.

The sight of Solar brought about an indescribable pain and happiness. As though it was choking her; it left her unable to breathe, unable to speak, unable to move. As if she was a bird gliding freely through the air. The wind brushed against her back and rushed along to accompany her. She happily smiled and danced with the wind, without the shackles of burden that tied her down.

When she was most ecstatic, a sharp pain ripped open her chest. She looked down to discover her blood trickling out from an open wound. She flapped her wings harder to escape her destined fate, just to find they were too heavy to lift. She tried to fight against the odds and hoped she would survive, however in a blink of an eye she was already plunging towards the earth. A hunter was happily smirking in the distance for his latest trophy. She felt her body shattered when the ground welcomed her into its fold. She stared helplessly into the distance as each lifeless breath escaped from her. The darkness crawled slowly towards her and consumed everything it touched, before it swallowed her.

She wanted to smile but tears left her eyes instead. She wanted to speak but her lips could only tremble as they opened. She wanted to hold Solar tighter but afraid that if she did, Solar would flow through the crevasses of her fingers. Just like the dry desert sand, no matter how tightly she gripped it in her hands, it would still leave her in the end. She could only close her eyes and wept silently; unable to understand the reason behind her sadness. Unable to defend herself against the feeling of helplessness as it settled in. Her tears dripped onto Solar's cheeks and stirred Solar from her slumber.

What's going on? Is someone crying?

Solar opened her eyes but a heavy fog had settled in, everything around her was hidden behind its veil. She tried to blink as if she was silently ordering it to dissipate. It, however, had deemed itself the owner of her eyesight and refused to disappear. The world was hazy and she felt too weak to fight. As though a boulder had proudly rolled atop of her. It crushed her beneath its mighty body and forced her to bear its weight. She tried to move but her limbs were giving her a hard time. She felt the droplets of water once more as it landed on her face and flowed down her cheeks. She looked up to find a faded figure.

Who is it? Is this person crying because of me?

She raised her hand and gently wiped away the tears, "why are you crying?" she said in a weak voice.

Moonbyul was pleasantly surprised by the gentle touch that caressed her face, and the sweet voice that followed. She merged their hands together before she opened her eyes. She looked at Solar; her trembled lips parted, but still her voice couldn't find its way through. She smiled and shook her head.

"Are you hurt?" Solar questioned. Moonbyul wanted to reply but her voice didn't want to comply. Solar could feel the answer being given to her. "That's good—" she smiled as her consciousness began to fade once more.

"A-are you okay?" Moonbyul finally found her voice although it was shaking.

"I'm—I'm okay—," she assured, "you shouldn't—shou—cry any—"

"Yong-Sun? Yong-Sun!?" She gently shook Solar.

Don't—don't shake me. I'm—I'm really tired. Let me rest, please.

"Yong-Sun!"

Don't—don't scream. Please—don't—I—

"I won't let anything happen to you."

Moonbyul took a moment to compose herself as Solar fell unconscious. She sniffled and quickly wiped away her tears. She picked Solar up in her arms and laid her down on the bed. She checked Solar's temperature once more before she scanned her body. There was a loud crashing noise earlier. I hope she wasn't hurt. She carefully examined Solar a few more times and felt relieved when she found nothing serious.