Just a Dream, Nothing More

Their lips touched for the first time after three years. The sweetness of Moonbyul's kiss, the warmth of Moonbyul's touch overwhelmed and embraced Solar all at once. The pain in Solar's heart slowly filled itself with joy. As if she had returned to the beginning. Back to those moments where she knew only happiness. Back to a place she'd experienced nothing but bliss. Her mind went blank and Moonbyul became her one and only world again.

Solar caressed Moonbyul's face under the moonlight and whispered, "everything will be alright."

Moonbyul closed her eyes and rubbed gently against Solar's hand. She smiled at Solar's words and replied, "I know."

She placed her hand on Solar's, she never thought she could feel the warmth of Solar's touch again. She knew it was just a dream, but this moment felt precious to her all the same. She opened her eyes and smiled brighter at the sight of the person she had never stopped loving.

"I know it'll be," she spoke sweetly, "because you're here."

They looked into each other's eyes. The sense of longing they had for each other was pouring out. Their hands tightly intertwined as Moonbyul lowered Solar to her back. Their lips touched once again, more passionately this time. Moonbyul gently bit Solar's ear and kissed her neck. Her hand caressed the curves on Solar's body.

Solar couldn't refuse Moonbyul's embrace. It was as if the devil's sweet temptation had reached out its hand and without thinking she accepted its offer. It pulled her down the cliff that stood before her, not knowing if she could survive. In that moment, even the slightest intention she had of escaping was vanquished.

She was ready to accept any punishment the heaven would deal upon her heart in exchange for this momentary bliss. At least that was what she thought. Without realizing it, tears escaped from her eyes. She had no intention of crying, yet she could do nothing to stop them.

"What's wrong with me?" Solar spoke in a trembling voice.

Moonbyul stopped and smiled as she wiped away Solar's tears, "it's alright," she said sweetly.

She kissed Solar's forehead before laying down next to her. She placed her hand over her eyes as tears silently fell. They laid there without speaking. They felt the distance between them frozen in time. They wanted to get closer, but a raging river stood between them. They wanted to reach for each other, but afraid the currents would sweep them further apart. They wanted to walk away, but their feet wouldn't listen. They could only stand there watching one another, each standing on one side of the river. The sense of longing was the only thing that stayed with them.

Moonbyul eventually drifted off to sleep. Solar sat up and looked over at her. She reached out her hand to feel Moonbyul's warmth once more but stopped midway. That momentary happiness had passed and now a trail of pain was left behind in her heart. Her tears wouldn't stop no matter how much she begged them to. She smiled bitterly as she cried.

I wish we could go back. I wish all of our bad memories were just a dream. I wish all of our pain would go away. But no matter what we do, we can't erase the past Byul ah. She placed her head on her knees and wept silently as she watched Moonbyul.

The sunlight crept in through the window and embraced Solar's feet. She looked up and smiled at the welcoming sight of a new day. She stood up and glanced at Moonbyul one last time. Good morning Byul ah. I hope you have a good day. Let last night be our bittersweet dream. She turned away and walked out the door, gently closing it behind her. Once she got into her room, she dropped onto her knees. An unbearable pain crept into her heart.

She gripped her chest, "bittersweet dream—" she chuckled bitterly as her tears dripped onto the floor.

Moonbyul awoke with the sun shining brightly into her eyes. Her tears still lingered at the tip of her eyelashes. She raised her hand against the sun and watched its light pass through the crevasses of her fingers. She tried to squeeze it in her hand as if she could vanquish it.