XXVIII : The 7th Sense + Without You

Seoul, South Korea. 2016.

Taeil got out of his car with wobbly legs, partly because of the long drive he had so early in the morning and partly because of the slight apprehension. He nervously wiped his clammy hands on his jeans. He had never stepped into a monastery before, since his family was traditionally Christian. It kind of scared him that his ignorance about the usages might show in a disrespectful way in front of the spiritual masters. He carefully walked along a large pebble stone alley, contemplating the greenery respectfully and bowed each time he crossed a monk's way.

An old man dressed with a seungbok slightly different from the others approached him with a friendly smile and crinkled eyes.

-You must be Mr. Moon. Welcome to our monastery.

-The pleasure is mine.

The monk invited him to have a walk in the gardens together to discuss the important matters. His aura was very serene, which helped Taeil loosen up a little.

-I was very intrigued by your call, Mr. Moon. You see, this monastery isn't ordinary. We have been keeping a secret closely for centuries. Several generations of monks lived and died here without knowing what it was about. At my old age, I was convinced I would also pass away in ignorance, but here you came.

-So you know nothing about the 7th sense ? Taeil stuttered, barely hiding his disbelief.

-I don't. This is how we devotedly keep a secret here. Still, I have answers to your questions if this is what you came for. Please, tell me everything you can about the 7th sense.

Taeil swallowed thickly.

-I am not even sure that I can reveal anything myself. In fact, it is not my secret. However, if you really are that good at keeping one, I guess it's no big deal if I reveal one or two things too much, right ?

The monk nodded with an inviting smile.

-Indeed. But please, don't force yourself to tell more than you're comfortable just to satisfy an old man's curiosity.

Taeil's gaze followed the movements of a beautiful bighead in a nearby pond.

-I work with people. One of them seems to have created a new universe accessible through dreams for other people. To be granted access, one must gain what they call the 7th sense. Until then, they used opium, following someone's dubious advice, but they don't want to pursue this anymore for obvious reasons.

The man didn't bat an eye at the mention of the drug and the parallel world, which Taeil was thankful for because when the words left his mouth, he really wondered if putting someone exterior in the confidence was actually a good idea.

-The weakest-spirited monks also try to attain nirvana with opium. This is very destructive, your colleagues are right to stop this. Do they meditate often ?

The waiter almost chuckled.

-They're impatient scientists eager for result, not men of faith, I'm afraid.

-How come you are here today, then ? What made you think Buddhist practices had something to do with your work project?

-I don't have a clue about sciences. But I know that when science doesn't have an answer, sometimes religion does. Not everything about the mind is electric, hormonal and chemical.

-This is a wise and humble way to think.

The compliment made the red rise to Taeil's cheeks. After all, that's not every day you get praised by a monk for being wise, right ?