XXX : The 7th Sense

Seoul, South Korea. 2016.

Mark was usually the most discrete of them all. Never complained but never started conversations meant to last more than two minutes either, he often stayed up late to elaborate his thesis.

The day he learnt the truth about his origins, he was an absolute mess. Destroyed. The next day, he was just gloomy and after this, it was like nothing had ever changed. On the outside at least. Taeil, who had overheard the truth more or less accidentally and had certain predispositions to decipher human emotions, wasn't fooled by Mark's calm appearance. Although he didn't know the scientist enough to meld directly into that type of rough personal business, he still kept a watchful eye on him. Sometimes he stayed in the same room as him to read a little, sometimes complimented his musical taste... Just so Mark knew he was not alone.

That day, Mark summoned all the Neos for a supper and it surprised the waiter because he thought the scientist was still in some type of unconscious isolation from society phase : hardly talking to anyone, going to bed when everyone was already asleep and getting up when everyone was still sleeping, hoping that they would forget his presence.

Something was definitely wrong.

Yet, all the Neos were sitting at the same table, eating Doyoung's cuisine since it was his turn to cook. Yuta was scribbling on his notebook as Taeyong translated the names of every item on the table for him. He was a very exigent teacher, very committed to his mission. Apart from them, everyone was silent, sensing that Mark was about to drop the bomb.

And he did.

-I'm flying back to Toronto tomorrow.

Taeyong almost spat his soup but Mark didn't wait for him to recover from the shock to continue.

-I need to talk to my parents about the matter. Tell them I know and get the explanations I deserve. There is also some business to be done at my university and no one needs me here for the moment.

As Taeil was helping poor disabled Jaehyun cut his meat in small pieces, the doctor stretched his unharmed arm to pat Mark's shoulder.

-We always need you here. But we can understand that you need some space. Please, keep us updated when you'll be away, he declared in a sweet tone.

Taeyong was still speechless. Obviously, the most empathic part of him could fully accept Mark's decision but his ugly side, his egoistic self... feared for the future of the lab. They had only two scientists in their team and both of them would be abroad. Deep down, he was afraid that they would never solve the glass cage mystery, that he would never be the master of his dreams again...

His heart clenched at this thought.

Mark flashed everyone a grateful smile, his eyes watering.

-Also, Doyoung and I have been working on something. We got positive results this morning.

-Yes, I will let you know everything tomorrow after driving Mark to the airport, Doyoung confirmed.

The singer was a very slender and delicate man but ever since his arrival at the lab, his cheeks looked fuller and his body stronger. One couldn't deny the underlying darkness in his eyes but simultaneously, he seemed less tormented and impulsive, he sometimes even looked cheerful. And he hurt no one, not even Taeil.

On his side, Yuta pretended to follow the conversation by nodding occasionally. Taeyong's shoulders were crouched : he felt a bit betrayed that something had been prepared behind his back.

Taeil cleared his throat.

-I also have something to announce, since everyone's at it. I might know exactly how the 7th sense works.