chapter 8

Chapter 8

                I smiled.  "Thank you."  I was very excited so I went and waited by the door.  Jazz and Ironhide followed me to the door.  Ironhide led the way out and Jazz stayed by my side.

                "Ya seem excited," Jazz laughed.

                "You have no idea.  I can't wait to actually stretch my wings.  It feels like I've been in stasis for an eternity."

                "I'd say it was close enough to an eternity."  He smiled sadly.  I could only imagine the pain he felt when he thought he had lost me forever.  I know how I would feel if it had been me losing him.

                We walked into the main hangar, and I found that the humans were staring at us, or, more specifically, at me.  I stopped immediately.  Jazz walked forward a couple of steps before stopping and  realizing that I had stopped.

                He glanced around before he knew what the problem was.  He didn't even have to ask.  That was how well he knew me.  He walked back to me and whispered into my audio receiver.

                "Just keep walkin.  They just surprised is all.  They wasn't expecting a cute lil femme like you to be somethin fierce."

                I subtly nodded once and began to walk again.  I quickened my pace to catch up with Ironhide and get out of the humans' line of vision.

                Soon enough, we were outside.  The mechs transformed into vehicles, but they were nothing like what was on Cybertron.  By looking around a few seconds, I learned that they must be designs of human vehicles.  Why would they scan Earth vehicles and get rid of one of the only Cybertronian things they had left?  No matter.  I transformed into my dragon form to show them what a real Cybertronian alternate mode looked like.  I was able to stand tall outside.  I spread my wings and stretched them out widely.

                "Impressive," Ironhide commented.  "But that's nothing if you can't control it and use it to your advantage against the enemy."

                "I don't think I'll have any problem with that," I said as I shot into the air.  It felt good to leave the ground behind and feel the air against my face.  I circled the two Cybertronians below me, waiting for them to lead the way.  They got the message and we started our long journey.

                The trip took two days, which included resting that night.   I dropped out of the sky and hit the sand.  The pain of the impact was nothing compared to the burning I felt in my wings.  I definitely had to work up my stamina.

                "Firestorm!" Jazz shouted as he ran over to me and crouched by my side.  "Are ya alright?!"

                I groaned.

                "I'll call Ratchet!" he said worriedly.

                I let out another groan.

                [Ratchet, we got a situation!]

                [Yes, Jazz?  What is it?] the doctor replied with concern.

                [Firestorm's lookin down for the count!]

                [What happened?  Are there Decepticons?  Do I need to alert Optimus?]

                [There's no Cons.  But she just dropped out of the sky!]

                [She dropped out of the sky?] he asked.  I groaned, giving somewhat of a confirmation.  [I see.  Jazz, how long were you traveling?]

                [Today?  Since 8 am, yo time.]

                The medic sighed.  [Jazz, she's tired.  She's been flying all day.  She needs to rest.]

                [Oh.  Is that what it is, Firestorm?]

                I entered the comm channel and answered him weakly.  [Y-yes.]

                [You see?  Nothing to worry about too terribly much.  However... Ironhide?]

                The weapon specialist entered the comm channel. [Yes?]

                [Give her the rest of the day to rest.  It is only her second day of being awake.]

                [Yeah, yeah.  I know.  Her health is more important than her training.  I understand.  But we start first thing in the morning.  We have to be prepared if something happens.  Speaking of being prepared, how's that ground bridge coming along?]

                There was a silence.

                [I look forward to hearing about your progress.  Goodbye.]

                Ironhide laughed.  [You haven't even started, have you?]

                [Materials are being gathered.  Goodbye.]  Ratchet signed out of the comm channel, so the rest of us did as well.

                "Rest while you can," Ironhide said as he looked at me.  "You won't always get that luxury in the war."