chapter nine

"I'm sorry..." Phil apologized to Tracy on the phone, "No, this time we really fucked up."

   Stu, Alan, and I sat on the steps of the hotel stressed out while Phil talked to Tracy. This was it, we had given up.

   "Yeah... little worse than that." Phil muttered into the phone, "I don't know what to tell you, Tracy." He then walked towards me and gave me the phone, "Tracy wants to talk to you."

   I slowly pulled the phone close to my ear, "Hey..." I mumbled.

   "Sophie! Oh, my god! What is going on there?!What's wrong?!" Tracy worriedly asked me on the other line.

   "I don't even know where to start." I huffed.

   "Is it true... what Phil said?" She slowly asked me.

   "Yeah, we really fucked up." I sighed.
———
   After we finished talking with Tracy we left lebua hotel and went to a small outdoor restaurant by the water. While Alan played Pac-Man we sat at a table discussing ways we can handle the situation.

   "Okay, how bout this? He fell off a fishing boat and drowned." Phil suggested. He was coming up with dumbest ideas ever.

   "No." Stu huffed.

   "Okay, I got it. Teddy was hit by a truck." Phil continued.

   "You really think they'll believe that?" I rolled my eyes at him.

   "Sure. Alan!" He called over to Alan.

   "Not a good time, Phil! Kinda busy!" Alan shouted from his game.

   "How many people get run over here?" He asked Alan.

   "Oh. Over 1,200 a year, Phil!" Alan shouted back.

   "Perfect." Phil smiled, "His body was too mangled to recover. Case closed."

   Stu stared straight ahead not even saying anything, "Enough. Those ideas are bad." I told Phil.

   "I'm just trying to help." Phil shrugged, "Can I have more ice, please?!" He yelled.

   I ignored Phil and turned over to Stu, "I'm so sorry, Stu. I don't even know what to say..." I sighed, "I wish I could to something..."

   "It is what it is..." Stu mumbled to me, "But I'm not gonna lie to Lauren." He said looking over at Phil.

   "Stu. Do you want this or not?" Phil asked him.

   "Look at what I've done, guys. What I do." Stu muttered, "I have a weakness for prostitutes. All kinds, apparently... I have a demon in me."

   "So what?" Phil mumbled and I nudged his arm, "Ow."

   "Teddy's gone, but I can still save Lauren. I'll just let her live her life without me." Stu sighed.

   "Stu, don't say that..." I sadly told him.

   "I want you to call Doug and tell him I'm never coming back. I'm gettin off the hamster wheel." He went on, "I'm gonna stay here in Bangkok. I think I belong here."

   "No you don't." Phil shook his head.

   "You're talking nonsense right now." I muttered.

   "I can open up a little dentist office. Teeth cleanings with a happy ending." He continued, ignoring what we both said.

   Phil sighed and stood up from his chair, "You sure about this?" Stu nodded his head.

   "Are you crazy? You're not staying here." I told Stu as Phil went to dial Doug's number, "Phil, stop."