prologue

My fingers shook slightly as Chan slipped the ring onto them.

18 diamonds that glimmered in the light that illuminated the church.

A wedding was the symbol of love and unity, and whilst the former didn't have a place in our world, the latter was what made my wedding so important. Today wasn't just about the joining of a couple, but two cities as well. Two crime families in an attempt to make peace.

Of course, there was money and deals involved but everything had come to a final close with the bond between Chan and I. We were the living proof that Seoul and Daegu would finally lay their guns aside and stand by each other. But for how long that tranquility would last, none of us could tell.

The final part of the ceremony included Chan reciting the oath that he had made when inducted into his crime family.

"I enter alive and I leave in death, bound by blood until the very end,"

I couldn't run now, not when hundreds of families from both Seoul and Daegu had their eyes trained on us, expectant of the new couple. Even if I ran, Chan would find me, and Daegu would seek their retribution by declaring war, his men ever obedient at the merciless man that was their Capo.

"You may kiss the bride,"

The priest directed a pitiful look towards me, grieving for my future. Even a man of God knew what the fate of someone affiliated with the crime family of Daegu was.

Chan raised my veil, his hands cupping my cheeks with a certain gentless that I thought was impossible for a man like him, as I raised my head, unwilling to let anyone in the room, including my husband, see my fear. 

Chan lowered his lips to mine. He was careful, restrained and after a few seconds, had pulled away, exposing my lips to the cold air.

His cool, dark eyes bored into mine, searching for something that showed my fear. But he didn't have to seeing that my hands trembled in his.

The message he was sending was painfully clear.

I was his until the bitter end.