six

The bright rays of the sun shone directly at my face, and a yawn escaped my lips as I attempted to stretch my arms, but something was holding me back.

My head turned to see Chan's firm chest on my back, one of his strong arms thrown across my waist, and I stiffened.

How could I forget? I was a married woman now, I belonged to Daegu.

"You're awake," He said, removing his arm, propped up on one elbow to have a good look at me. He had kept his promise, and hadn't consummated the marriage or touched me last night. "In a few moments, some of the women from my family will come to take the sheets, and we must give them a show,"

His hands reached for my hair, twirling a few strands, lost in thought before his eyes snapped up once more. "The blood will be the basics, but we need to fill in the rest. I trust that you can convincingly lie about our wedding night. I cannot afford to be seen as weak,"

"Weak because you gave in to your wife?" I asked softly.

His lips twitched into a cold smile. "Weak because I didn't take what was mine. Daegu will happily try to overthrow me if they found out,"

"I'll keep up the lie," I answered, and it was a promise. I had no intention of telling them.

"How can I be sure? You despise me,"

"I don't," I placed my hand over his tattoo. We would be making two promises in one day. "Bound by blood, I swear that I won't let anything slip about tonight to your family,"

His hand covered mine, a hint of respect in his eyes. "Bound by blood,"

We took a little more time eyeing each other, as though we couldn't quite believe what had just happened. Only last night was I sobbing at the thought of being Chan's wife, yet here I was, making an oath that I wouldn't say a word about what he had done for me.

"Now," He lifted himself off the bed, and my cheeks flushed slightly. Apparently, he'd removed the sweatpants at some point in the night. "When they arrive, I want you to put on a bathrobe. I don't want them wondering where I've left marks on you, but as for your face," His hands reached for my cheeks, cupping them slightly as my eyelids shut. "You need to look like you've been kissed,"

"Wha- "

I had no time to respond when Chan's lips descended onto mine and my palms sat on his chest, making no effort to push him away. It was strange to be so intimate with someone that I barely knew well, yet, it was pleasing, and felt good. I lost track of how long we'd been pressed up together, as he got more demanding, possessive, his hands tightening on my waist as I leaned into him.

A knock on the door made us draw back, and his eyes were dark with desire. 

"Go put on a bathrobe," He muttered and I left the bed, pulling on a white satin robe, draping it across my form whilst Chan placed numerous knives and holsters onto his body. He quickly put on his sweatpants once more, gave me a look before opening the door.

A few words of surprise, laughter and the occassional curse were let out as some of the women giggled.

"We've come for the sheets!" One woman grinned, not much older than my mother.

Chan opened the door a little wider, and the women craned their necks to have a good look. They chatted, giggling, smirking. Not one of them looked suspicious.

I risked a look at Mother who was desperately trying to refrain Bitna from coming through, but my sister was persistant as she shoved her way through the crowd. She finally reached me, pulling me into a hug, worry evident in her eyes.