four

"Today's the day!" Mother said with artificial cheer. Even she knew how much I despised this union, but for appearence's sake, she needed to look pleased.

Bitna had shared the room with me in the Bang family mansion, where the wedding was to take place in its vast gardens. I needed her by my side.

"It's too early for this," She complained, rubbing her eyes gingerly. "The wedding's not until 11, and it's five in the morning,"

"The beauticians will need to sort everyone out, and that will take time," Mother answered, pulling the duvet off her. "Get up, and get ready,"

Bitna grumbled but she obeyed, dragging herself to the bathroom. 

"I can't believe you two shared rooms like children," She said, shaking her head.

"Someone needed to make sure that Chan didn't come in," Bitna called from where she had begun to brush her teeth.

"Manseok and the others were guarding the hallways all night,"

"That wouldn't stop them,"

Mother said nothing at that before her eyes turned to me. "The beautician will arrive in less than half an hour, grab a shower first,"

It took all of my strength not to run from the mansion as I leaned against the shower cabin, my eyes shut as hot water spilled over my body. Today I would become the wife of the Capo of Daegu. Bang Chan and I would be bound together for the rest of our lives. 

I sighed. I wished I could be like other brides, happy and euphoric at the thought of marrying the love of their lives. Chan was anything but the love of my life. No one said it, but everyone knew this was a marriage of convenience. 

When I'd stepped out of the shower, with my fluffy bathrobe, Chaewon greeted me with a light hug before pulling out a plate of cut fruits and coffee. "Someone said that you can only eat this, otherwise there'll be bloating,"

Bitna scoffed from where she was getting waxed. "What bullshit!"

The three of us were waxed to perfection, and it took even more time for the hair and make-up to be done, considering my Mother, aunts and two of our cousins were part of the group.

Once my hair had been styled into a work of art, long black locks spilling down my back, my aunts Songhee and Yoona came in, carrying my wedding dress as well as the bridesmaid dresses for my sisters. My cousins, Ara and Minhee wouldn't be bridesmaids, but we were all close to each other, and I considered them my older sisters.

...

The person in the reflection of the mirror was a woman, not a nineteen year old girl. The dress was extraordinary and the cathedral veil emphasised it's immensity. 

"Chan made the perfect choice of giving you those diamonds," My Aunt Songhee gushed at the necklace that had been gifted by my fiance.

"Yes, it truly is perfect, you look perfect!" Aunt Yoona agreed.

Something must have showed on my face as my mother looked at me and shooed my aunts out. "Let the girls have a moment together," She said, referring to my sisters and my cousins.

The older women left, including Mother, as it left the five of us in the room.

"He really didn't spare anything," Minhee mumbled, her eyes adrift.

My older cousin was only twenty four, but fate had been cruel to her considering that she'd been required to marry a man that was known for his cruelty in our ranks. She had began to fade away, and I knew she wished she could have married anyone else except the bastard that hurt her.