two

A month had flown by a little too fast for my liking, and all of a sudden, the twelfth was upon us. The day of my engagement party.

"Junseo, don't run," I said absent-mindedly, fiddling with my earrings as my younger brother scowled.

"But the guests aren't even here yet!" He whined, not happy about being in his shirt which he complained was itchy.

"But Father is here, and you know what will happen if you don't follow his orders," I said firmly to him, trying to neaten his black hair. "He wants today to go perfectly,"

The last week had been full of preparations, deciding what sort of food was to be made, what dress I was going to wear and what the schedule was. It wasn't really going to be a party, more of a meeting between Daegu's Capo and his Consigliere and my own father, Consigliere of the Seoul Family as well as our Capo. 

Junseo grumbled but said nothing. At only six, he was too young to be inducted, but his temper and energy had all the makings of a killer, something he would end up becoming. I tried not to think of my adorable brother as a Made Man, silently praying that maybe he'd take the other route, that he'd run from our life. But that was impossible. Junseo was born to be a mafia man, destined for the title of Consigliere, something he would take with blood on his hands.

"I don't understand why we had to dress up when you're the one getting married!"

I turned to Bitna who had just walked in, her cat eyes flashing dangerously, obviously not pleased at the arrangements. She wore a dark blue dress with a sparkly belt that accentuated her waist, looking like a dream.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was older, Bitna would have been an option to marry the Capo of Daegu. But even if that option remained present, I would never allow it. My priority was to protect my siblings, even if that meant I had to deal with the devil.

"You look gorgeous," I said softly, and at that moment, Chaewon came in too, wearing a baby pink dress and kitten heels of the same colour. "You too, Chae,"

Chaewon beamed at the compliment, moving in front of the mirror so she could analyse herself. Despite being only thirteen, the girl was a flirt and I had caught too many men looking at her in a way that made my blood boil. Mother had always said that she was exactly what K-pop idols dreamed of looking like, with her soft features.

Junseo was still in a bad mood, and that meant that he was in the state of mind to mess around. "Chase me!" He yelled, leaping off the bed and down the corridor, leaving me, Bitna and Chaewon in a panic.

"Junseo, no!" I shouted, running after the six year old in my pyjamas.

"I'm gonna catch you, you little troublemaker!" Bitna raced after him, Chaewon following quickly from behind.

If he ran into Father, then that would mean big trouble. Junseo was quick as he darted past the kitchens and into the east wing of the house, almost knocking over a vase, which Bitna had caught, allowing Chaewon to dash past her, gaining on our younger brother. 

When we had passed Father's office, I breathed a sigh of relief, but some men had rounded the corner and before I could warn the younger two, Junseo had ran into the man in the middle with full force, Chaewon having managed to come to a skidding halt, gripping the side of the wall.

Bitna released a gasp, and Chaewon was frozen in her spot. My eyes couldn't tear away from my future husband who was steadying my younger brother with his strong hands, hands that had killed.

"Junseo," I said, my voice trembling as I extended my arm. "Come here,"

Three pairs of eyes stared at me, including those of Chan's, so cold, so distant.