one

THREE YEARS AGO

BANG CHAN : 17 YEARS OLD

SONG NAYOUNG : 16 YEARS OLD

I had been finishing my homework on the mahogany table of the library, frowning at one of the questions, when there had been a knock on the door. Chaewon, who'd said that she too was going to finish her homework, but had ended up falling asleep, didn't even move as our mother came in, worry evident on her features.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

Her brows pulled together as a tight smile made its way on her face, attempting to look calm. "Your father wants to see you in his office, you should hurry,"

I gave a single nod, leaving my books before exiting the library, stopping when Mother placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Just... just listen to him," She whispered, her eyes fluttering shut, as though it was painful for even her to think about it.

The frown had returned on my face as I left for Father's office, wondering what on earth he could want. Normally, I didn't make that much trouble, neither did Chaewon. It was either Bitna or Junseo who'd be on the receiving end of his anger.

I rapped my knuckles against the dark mahagony wood of the door that led into his office, where a low "Come in," indicated my invitation inside.

I morphed my expression into something that was guarded. Father had always been very particular about how we acted and behaved, and I did not want to risk his rage when I was brimming with curiosity.

"Sit,"

I sunk into one of the leather chairs, back straight, arms neatly on my lap, awaiting news which could either go two ways.

"As you may know, each crime family in Korea is getting stronger," I tried not to let my confusion show. Mafia men often refrained from telling the women their side of the business, and it was rare for them to ever explain the details in which our world worked. "And there are other looming threats that we must begin to deal with,"

"Daegu has always been one of the more infamous families, but their strength and power begins to endanger ours as they seek out expansion into other territories,"

I refrained from scoffing. All of the mafia families in South Korea were infamous. Not one of us did any sort of good deed and our world breathed in sin. Yet, there was some truth in what Father had said. Daegu took it to another level.

"The feud and bloodshed between our families has gone on for many years, but in a time where there are other dangers, we must lay our guns aside and stand by each other,"

Peace? With Daegu? That was impossible. Our families hated each other like no tomorrow, and the last battle between them was still fresh, even fifty years later.

Father analysed me once more. "I had a meeting with Bang Chan yesterday,"

My blood went cold. At 17 years old, Bang Chan was the youngest Capo to have ever ruled a mafia in all of South Korea, and he was terrifying for multiple reasons. He had killed his own father, and took back the territory that had belonged to him, and he was known for getting what he wanted, even if that meant spilling unnecassary blood.

Father starightened himself, his cold eyes boring into my own. "You will marry Bang Chan, Capo of the Daegu Family, by the time you are 19 years old,"

My fingers gripped the leather arm rests of the seat, my expression as controlled and poised as it had always been, yet my insides were twisting with an inexplainable feeling.