Chapter 29

It was around nine o'clock when I heard the strange rumbling of my mate's stomach. I looked up and Damian cleared his throat as a blush crept over his face. I smiled and set down the latest stack of papers I had been working on. 

"Want something to eat?"I asked. 

"Only if you're hungry," he lied. 

"I will go order something," I stand up and make my way over to the doors. After a brief talk with a maid, ordering a whole array of food for Damian and a simple mac and cheese bowl for me, I come back to Damian's office and take a seat. 

"Should be here in ten," I told him. 

"Sounds good. Gives me just enough time to finish up here and then we can eat together."  Damian said before going back to decoding his papers. 

I finished up organizing the last stack of papers and I set it on his desk for him. He looked up and thanked me. I walked around to his side of the desk and started to rub his shoulders, sensing how stressed this paperwork was making him. 

Once he finished he leaned back and placed his hand over mine and kissed it. "Thank you for your help today, Beloved. I am not sure what I would do without you." 

"It was nothing," I kissed his cheek. "Now, how about we go check on the food status? I know how hungry you are." 

He chuckles and stands up, following me out of the room. There is a cart of food waiting by the dining table. I take a seat and start to dish up the plates for the both of us. As I start to take the first bite of my food, Damian stops me. 

"Wait," Damian makes me pause. "Let me," he doesn't tell me what he is doing, but he brings the bowl of mac and cheese to his nose and sniffs. "It's good," he says after a minute. His whole body relaxes and he goes back to cutting up his food. 

"Checking for poison are we?" I tease. 

"This isn't funny," Damian glares. "You could have been killed. We have to be careful of what you eat from now on." 

"I don't see you checking for poison," I point out, looking at his plate. 

"I already checked," Damian scoffed. "I always have to check for poison or positions in my food. That is why I always smell my food first. Something you will have to do as well." 

"But I didn't smell anything with the wines," I shake my head. 

"That is because you haven't been trained to yet. But I can teach you how to identify smells in your food. You will have to know it as future Queen Luna anyway." Damian said as if what he was talking about was completely normal. 

"Alright, just eat your food," I rolled my eyes and took a bite of food. 

We finished eating in silence (because Damian was scarfing down his food like he hadn't eaten in days). Then it occurred to me. Maybe he hadn't eaten in a while. I did pass out this morning before breakfast and I haven't seen him eat anything since. 

"Did you eat today?" I asked when I set down my fork. 

"I am eating right now," Damian looked confused. 

"I mean before now," I clarified. 

"I was a little busy," Damian shrugged it off like it was nothing. 

"Damian Wayne," I scold him. "You have to take better care of yourself. You need to eat regular meals and stay healthy. You should have at least had lunch." 

"You weren't awake yet," Damian said as if that was a good excuse. 

"So what?" I glare at him. "That doesn't mean anything."