Three

Abigail Hawthorne

Abigail Hawthorne

"It's not real fire. These suits are built so you won't feel a thing." Cinna said, I felt someone's eyes on me, I looked up to see the boy from District 2 staring at me, a smirk plastered on his face.

I looked away, feeling the heat rising to my cheeks. "You ready? Don't be afraid." Cinna said, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I'm not afraid." I said and he nodded. "Good." Cinna said as Peeta and I boarded the horse drawn carriage. Our carriage was the last to leave, I was looking around at the crowd who were cheering loudly, their facial expressions lit up as though we were the best thing they'd seen. "Come on," Peeta said as he'd grabbed my hand but I flinched mine away. "They'll love it."

I let him entwine our fingers and raise our hands in the air, he was right, the crowd went wild. My heart was pounding in my chest, we finally made our way towards President Snow, who was smirking at us all. "Welcome. Welcome. Tributes. We welcome you." President Snow's voice echoed around, I kept my eyes on him, it was his fault we were in this mess anyhow. "We salute the courage and your sacrifice. And we wish you happy Hunger Games. And may the odds be ever in your favor." President Snow said, our carriage left the circle as we headed back to Effie, Haymitch, Cinna and Portia.

"That was amazing. We are all anybody's going to be talking about!" Effie trilled to Portia, I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. "So brave." Cinna said, I felt eyes burning into me again as I turned around, it was the same boy from 2, he winked, Haymitch also noticed him staring. "Let's uh... let's go upstairs." Haymitch said, putting his arm on the top of my back and leading me to the elevator. "So each of the districts got their own floor and because you're from 12, you get the penthouse. Come on." Effie gushed, leading us to the penthouse.

"So this is the living room. I know! Now, your rooms are right over here. Why don't you go clean yourselves up a little before dinner." Effie said and I sighed, heading to my room. I looked at myself in the mirror, I'd never worn makeup before and hadn't seen myself before the Tribute Parade.

Flavius, Venia and Octavia had done my makeup so my grey eyes popped, they'd drawn fake freckles on my nose and carved out my eyebrows, I was unrecognisable. I started by washing the remaining makeup off my skin, not liking how it felt. I changed into silky pyjamas again, I made my way to the rooftop, sitting down and resting my head on my legs.

"Can't sleep too?" My head span around, my eyes rested upon the boy from district 2. "No, not really." I mumbled and he sat beside me. "That was quite some outfit." He commented and I looked at him, he was rather handsome. "I'm just glad I wasn't naked." I said, a laugh escaping my lips. "I would've liked that better." Cato said with a smirk, I let out a chuckle and rolled my eyes.

"So, what's it like in twelve?" Cato asked and I shrugged. "I mean, we get by. I have my brothers and sister and my mother." I said and looked at Cato. "There's not really much to look forward too though, how about you?" I asked and he smiled, somewhat sadly. "My mother died when I was ten," Cato said and I felt my body soften. "Cato..." I whispered but he shook his head. "It's okay, my father is a Peacekeeper, and I have a brother Bishop too who volunteered for the games but died."

"I'm sorry Cato." I whispered but he shook his head. "No, in our district it's good to volunteer." Cato said and I touched his arm, he flinched. "Sorry, I'm not used to affection. I'm not a born killer." Cato whispered and I nodded. "I know."

"See you tomorrow, twelve." Cato said, I smirked at him. "See you tomorrow, two." I remarked and he chuckled, rolling his eyes. I stood up and went to bed, the fresh air making me feel tired. Cato stopped me at the door of the rooftop, his thumb traced my cheek. My body tingled at his touch, I looked up at his blue eyes. "I'll keep you alive." Cato whispered, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek.

I was left flabbergasted as he headed to the elevator, he winked as the doors closed, I shook my head and headed to my room. I tucked myself under the silky sheets and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

We headed to the training centre the next day, Peeta and I walking together, Cato looked over at me with a smirk. "Remember, don't show your strengths." Peeta reminded me for the millionth time, I nodded and headed over to Atala. "In two weeks twenty three of you will be dead. One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days. Particularly to what I'm about to say." Atala said and I couldn't help feeling Cato's gaze on me, I felt my cheeks heating up causing him to smirk.

"First. No fighting with the other Tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the arena. There are four compulsory exercises, the rest will be individual training. My advice is; Don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword but most of you wil die from natural causes. 10% from infection. 20% from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife." Atala said which made goosebumps rise on my skin, I looked over at Peeta who's gaze lingered on mine, Clove, Cato's district partner drew a line across her neck as she smirked at me.

I ignored the archery station and went straight to the combat, I was strong but my one to one combat wasn't that great. I'd pinned the instructor down and kneeled on his shoulders, he smirked up at me. "Where's my knife?!" Cato's voice rang around the training centre, he and the tribute from 5 were arguing. "Where did you put it?" Cato shouted, I ran over and touched his arm. "Don't touch me! You took my knife!" Cato said, going for the boy from 5. "I didn't touch your knife. I didn't touch your kni..." the boy from 5 pleaded, Cato grabbed the front of his shirt.

"Cato..." I whispered, Thresh was smirking at me and looked up, Rue was flashing Cato's knife, I chuckled at Thresh and rolled my eyes. "Cato, c'mon." I grabbed his arm and pulled him away. "What was that?" Cato spat at me, ripping away his arm. "You made me look weak." Cato hissed, I looked up at him, my eyes wide. "Abi, Abs..." Cato hurried but I'd already walked away.