Six

Abigail Hawthorne

Abigail Hawthorne

"Nice job, sweetheart." Haymitch said and I looked up at him. "What do you mean?" I asked as Cato walked towards us. "I can sell the star crossed lovers, good way to get Sponsors." Haymitch said, pointing his finger at Cato and I. "It wasn't about getting Sponsors." I said and Haymitch frowned.

"Just my charm." Cato replied with a shrug to Haymitch, I rolled my eyes and pushed his chest. Peeta had confessed his love for Katniss after he and Ceaser made jokes about the Capitol showers. "See you tomorrow, twelve." Cato said, winking at me before Peeta walked off the stage. "See you tomorrow, two." I said with a smirk, Cato chuckled before walking towards the elevator.

"This wasn't a move?" Haymitch asked. "You've actually fallen for a career?" Effie asked in astonishment, I felt the heat rising to my cheeks. "Come on you two, we need to start preparing for tomorrow." Haymitch said and I gulped, tomorrow was the big day. It was finally arriving at last, the day of The Hunger Games.

We headed to the elevator and pressed the 12 button. Peeta wouldn't look at me let alone talk to me, I bit my lip as the elevator ride was rather awkward and tense. "Good night." I said after we'd finished our tea, I went to the rooftop hoping I'd have one more night with Cato before tomorrow.

I sat looking out at the balcony, seeing the crowd cheering down below which made me feel sick. After half a hour I decided Cato wasn't coming, I stood up and headed for the door. "Abs..." Cato's calming voice came from the door, I still wore the pendant he gave me around my neck. "I thought you weren't coming." I said and he chuckled. "My mentor wanted a chat about the stunt I pulled."

"Stunt?" I asked and his eyes widened, he realised what he'd said. "Abs, I didn't mean it like that..." Cato said hurriedly, putting his arms on my shoulders. "He said he thinks this can work for us." Cato said and I looked up. "What?" I asked and Cato nodded. "He thinks this will be a chance for us both to get out alive." Cato whispered, we didn't know if we were being filmed or could be overheard from up here.

"I'll do my best to keep you alive, ok?" Cato asked and I nodded. "But that might mean you joining us as an ally." Cato said and I bit my lip. "But, Glimmer, Clove and Marvel all hate me. They'll kill me in my sleep." I said but Cato shook his head. "Just think about it, please?" Cato asked and I sighed. "But what about Clove and Peeta? Our districts won't be happy." I said because I knew the people in twelve wouldn't be. "If it's not us that kills them, then we have nothing to be sorry for." Cato whispered, I knew deep down he didn't mean that.

"Be safe tomorrow, ok?" Cato asked and pressed a kiss to my lips, he went to leave. "Please, can you stay with me tonight?" I asked and he nodded, knowing tonight could possibly be the last. We headed to my room, got under the covers and just held each other tightly, sharing a few passionate kisses here and there. "I love you." Cato blurted out, I sat up and turned to face him. "What?" I asked and he moved a strand of loose hair out of my face. "I love you." Cato repeated, i leant down and pressed a soft kiss to his lips. "Cato?" I asked and he looked up. "Mhm?" Cato replied sleepily. "I love you, too."

The next morning my bed was empty, I must've fell asleep on Cato again, not that I remembered. I dressed in the pants and T-shirt the Avox left me and headed to the aircraft with Haymitch. "They put all kind of stuff right in front. Right in the mouth of the Cornucopia. There'll even be a bow there. Don't go for it." Haymitch said and I looked over at him. "Why not?" I asked, a bow and arrow would be my best hope. "It's a bloodbath, they're trying to pull you in. That's not your game. You turn, run, find a high ground. Look for water. Water's your new best friend. Don't step off that pedestal earlier or they'll blow you sky high."

"I won't." I said and he nodded. "Abigail, you can do this." Haymitch said, placing his arms either side of me, he pulled me into a hug. "Thanks." I mumbled and he patted my back as I headed towards the aircraft. Cato was opposite me, two seats to the right, Peeta was three seats to my left. They were injecting something into our arms. "What is that?" I asked as the attendant got to me. "Your tracker."

Cinna had got the pendant Cato had left me, and the pin with the mockingjay from home. "30 seconds." My breath hitched in my throat as I looked at Cinna, he placed his hands either side of my shoulders. "Thank you." I whispered for the pendant and the locket. "I'm not allowed to bet. But if I could I'd bet on you!" Cinna said and pressed a soft kiss to my cheek. "20 seconds."

I headed towards the tube and stepped in, the doors closed and I placed my hands on the glass, looking down at Cinna who nodded, as though to say I was ok. I rose into the air and the bright sunlight blinded me, I couldn't see Peeta or Cato anywhere, assuming they must be the other side of the Cornucopia.

50, 49, 48, 47, 46

My breathing hitched in my throat as I got in my position to run, Glimmer and Clove were either side of me and I knew I wasn't to trust them, no matter what Cato told me.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

The cannon went off and I ran towards a backpack, picking it up with the loaf of bread that was beside it, I grabbed it and a boy from district 7 lunged at me, blood splattered in my face as he fell to the ground, panicked, I seen Clove aiming for me with a knife, she threw it but I lifted the backpack just in time, I took that as my sign to run into the forest.