Chapter 8

Following the test, my testimony was accepted, and Seungkwan and I were released from the scene. We weren't allowed near the crime site, so we went to see Yeji and Jennie in the tea house, where we found them sitting in silence, grieving.

"Yeji unnie, Jennie unnie," I quietly called. They gave us a forlorn expression as we walked in.

"Y/n. I heard you were the first to discover Ning Ning's body. That must have been traumatic," Yeji said shakily, her nose and eyes red from crying, as were Jennie's. Her eyeliner was sagging and smudged from her tears.

"Yeah," I responded softly.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Noona," Seungkwan remarked.

Everything went silent. I didn't know what else to say, and knowing myself, I become awkward in situations like these. But it's much different when you're the founder of their deceased friend's body.

Jennie sniffed and wiped her tears away with a tissue, removing the smudged makeup.

"Come sit; I'll make some tea to help us relax," she added.

"I'll assist with the tea, unnie," I replied, walking straight to the cabinet. But as I opened it, I noticed a tea cup was missing.

It had the Sakura tree design, which was quite gorgeous. The last time I saw it, NingNing was using it yesterday. I'm not sure if she stole it, but if she did, I'm sure I'd seen it inside her dorm room. I wonder where it could be.

"Y/N, do you need help?" Seungkwan said.

"Don't worry, I've got this," I said, then proceeded to use the adorable stroller to set four tea cups alongside the plates and cutlery so I wouldn't have to travel back and forth for it.

We started with our wonderful tea after a few minutes of preparation. The tea put into my cup had nearly overflowed, and I needed to drink it quickly before the liquid spilled. With my left hand, I took and carried the tea, then lowered my head to take a sip.

"Oh, I didn't realize you were a leftie," Jennie said.

"No, I'm right-handed; I only had to quickly reduce the liquid before it dripped off," I said.

"A leftie, reminds me of NingNing, the only leftie in this room," Yeji observed.

"If it's okay to ask, what kind of person was she?" Seungkwan wondered.

"She was a very talented woman." Jennie said

"Although she was really calm and gentle, you wouldn't want to irritate her because she was very scary when she's furious," Yeji explained.

"Wasn't she previously dating someone?" Jennie inquired.

"She used to be in a relationship with Mingyu."

"Hybe University's Student Council President?" I inquired, surprised.

"Yes! They were together for three years, but they split up just last year; I still don't know why, and I didn't want to hurt NingNing's feelings, so I avoided asking," Yeji explained.

"They also had several interests, such as cooking and horseback riding, and they both liked the number seven."

I instantly recalled the key with the wooden attachment. It had the number 7.

"They were absolutely obsessed with being perfect, and they also believed the number 7 would bring you luck since the number 7 is the sign for luck in numerology," Jennie explained.

"When I was looking for her, she had a key with a wooden attachment with the number 7 on it inside her room."

"They used to have a cabin together, where they would sleep and go on dates on occasion," Yeji explained.

"NingNing adored nature, so when Mingyu found out she wanted to live in a home surrounded by nature, he instantly leased cabin room number 7," Jennie said.

"I had no idea Mingyu was romantic," Seungkwan said, praising Mingyu's efforts.

"They were absolutely head over heels for each other!" Yeji said.

"We weren't the only ones who were surprised when NingNing informed me they broke up last year; I had assumed they would marry in the future," Jennie added.

When I heard the narrative of MinNing's love story, I felt compelled to avenge NingNing's death.

I don't know much about her, but I know she didn't commit suicide. Those incisions were far from her veins. Died from losing lots of blood? Possible. But, can you die from blood loss caused by slashing your arm?

I have no other clue to solve this mystery. First and foremost, I should always return to the crime scene to hunt for further information. The ones I discovered are insufficient.

There is just one way.

The best time to go is at night. When the clock struck twelve o'clock, I crept outside my dorm room to make sure Seungkwan didn't wake up.

I gently closed the door and entered NingNing's room, but as I approached, someone behind me questioned, "And where do you think you're going?"

I instantly froze. At that point, I understood I had to be honest about my intentions. Jun was standing behind me, his hands tucked into his jacket pockets.

"Jun, why are you awake?" I said.

"If you've forgotten, I'm a detective, and I should be asking you that," he continued as I huffed, "Speak up."

"I only wanted to help with the investigation because I know NingNing didn't commit suicide; she was killed," I explained.

"How do you know she didn't kill herself? She visibly slashed her wrist."

"Technically, it was her arm she slit. If she slit her wrist, then that would've been fatal. Although there is a possibility that she would die from blood loss, and yet again, that also depends on the length of time from when she cut herself until the moment she died. And when I first found her, I remembered vividly that those cuts were still fresh. So she couldn't have died as a result of that."

I was afraid of being accused again, so I told him what I knew without realizing it.

There was a little pause before he snickered at my response. I wasn't sure if he was impressed or not, but whatever reply he gave, I was terrified. I can't continue to be a suspect.

"Not bad," he remarked.

"Does that imply I can join the investigation?" I inquired, hoping for a positive response.

He then took out his wallet and pulled out a card. I didn't want to make any assumptions, but it appeared to be the detective ID card he presented us this morning.

He handed me the card and showed me the information, and I was correct. He handed me my very own detective identification card!

"B-but how? And why?" I was taken aback.

"After witnessing your power, I felt it might be beneficial, so I made you my assistant with the power I earned."

I was pleased and ecstatic! I still can't believe my plan came true and that I was able to avenge NingNing's death!

"I sometimes do my investigations at night, when there aren't as many distractions, so I'm expecting you to join me," he said, and I nodded. "All right, let's go." I smiled as I followed him inside.