23: Molten Ice Cream

JASPER

JASPER

I'm tired of always wailing. I'm so done being drained and my eyes suffering from the things that I had no control of. I should let what happened go. I could still apply for the scholarship grant next year. And maybe I could still get it. What made me think that I couldn't?

Ang hirap lang kasi niyan, kailangan kong doblehin ang trabaho ko ngayon para siguradong makakapag-aral pa rin ako sa university na 'to next year. Kapag natanggap ako ulit, edi maganda, pero kapag hindi, at least may back-up plan ako, and that is to pay for the tuition fee that they have here. I don't want to trouble my parents anymore if that happens. They've done so much for me already. They've sacrificed a lot already.

The only problem is, kakayanin ko pa ba ang panibagong trabaho? Parang pakiramdam ko sobrang made-drain naman ako 'pag nagkataon. Halos wala na nga akong oras ngayon para sa sarili ko, eh. So paano ko pa ipapasok sa schedule ko ang panibagong trabaho?

I was pulled back into reality when somebody's cold fingers touched my arm. "Jasper?"

"Hmm? Yeah?" Napatingin ako sa pinanggalingan ng boses. It was from Vince. "What's up?"

"I was asking what you want to have for lunch."

"Oh, I, uh, kahit ano na lang." I shrugged off the idea of deciding what food to consume. I have a lot of things that my mind is already dealing with right now.

Vince just stared at me, his fingers still on top of my wrist. Kasabay ng pagbuntong-hininga niya ay ang marahang paghaplos niya sa aking braso. "What seems to be the matter, Jasper? Come on, you can tell me."

Tinitigan ko lang siya sa mga mata. He looked really worried about me, and I felt bad about it. "I don't want to trouble you, Vince. May mga personal na bagay ka ring iniisip. Ayoko nang dumagdag pa."

"Sino bang nagsabing abala ka?" Humigpit ang hawak niya sa aking braso. "Jasper, kahit kailan hindi ko naisip na nakakaabala ka. And I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you're a bother to me, because you're not. And you never will be a nuisance in my life. In fact, you make everything easier for me."

"Vince..."

"Tell me. Please?" He gave me a sincere smile, a pleading one. How could I resist him if he's like that?

When he noticed that my mouth remained zipped, he muttered new set of words. "We're in this together. You don't have to battle with your monsters alone."

"But you also have your own villains to fight..."

"They were defeated the first second I laid eyes on you." Vince blinked, didn't seem to be kidding around. "You saved me from the monsters under my bed, Jasper, so why don't you let me offer a hand for my guardian angel?"

My heart skipped a beat. "Okay." I heaved a deep breath. I don't want to trouble him, but since he was the one insisting for it, then I think I could tell him stuff that's been bugging my mind for the past few days. "I'm just worried about something."