Climax Part 1 (RSD3.6)

"Why did you let me come all this way?" Kel felt really mixed up. The woman he had fallen in love with was sitting in front of him - except - now she was male. He didn't know whether to hit Ziron or burst into tears.

Ziron didn't answer for a moment. He dropped his eyes, looked sideways, then back at Kel again and sighed. "I guess I was hoping... I hoped there was a chance - that maybe you'd still love me. That this wouldn't make a difference. Stupid, huh?"

There was a long silence.

"Kel?"

But before Kel could even think about answering, a message-bot appeared in the air between them, hovering like an unwelcome wasp. Kel and Ziron stared in bemusement as it spoke in a metallic voice with a strange accent.

"Kel and Ziron, you are hereby invited to attend a wee ceremony to be held in a fortnight's time at a secret location in the New Forest, on the planet Earth. You have been nominated to compete in this year's Cupid Awards, for the best intergalactic romance story. To be fair, it is a long way to travel but, as an incentive, this year's winner will receive the grand prize of a happy ending to their story. When you reach Earth, you will be conveyed to the Award Ceremony by a time machine, courtesy of our sponsor, TimeLabs Inc - the premier time travel company. I look forward to seeing you there. Oorah!" The message-bot disappeared in a small puff of smoke.

Ziron looked at Kel, his eyebrows raised in astonishment. That whole incident had been so unexpected, he didn't know where to start.

"So who's your friend Oorah, then?" he blurted.

~~~

Evan waited impatiently outside Joey's locked door. He rapped again. "Open up, Joey! It's me, Evan." Silence.

"Don't be silly, now. Open the door. You'll have to come out sooner or later, you know."

Ever since Joey had turned into a Japenese goblin, half man-half spider, in this alternate fantasy version of Earth where mythical creatures were as real as anyone else, he had refused to come out. He stayed hidden in his house, his food delivered by a Keen Cuisine messenger, seeing no-one, especially not Evan.

"I bet you've got one of these invitations too," persisted Evan, talking to the door. "This guy seems to know something about our situation. Think positive. If we win, that could be the answer - you could ask to be human again. What do you think?"

There was still no response and Evan frowned, unsure whether it would do any good to push further. Perhaps he should give Joey time to think about it. He turned away.

His mind ran over the odd message he had received, only that morning.

"Evan, you are hereby invited to attend a wee ceremony to be held in a fortnight's time at a secret location in the New Forest, on mundane Earth. You and Joey have been nominated to compete in this year's Cupid Awards, for the best romance story across realities. To be fair, I've heard you might have a wee bit of difficulty persuading Joey to attend, so as an incentive, this year's winner will receive the grand prize of a happy ending to their story. If you both step back through the black curtain at Myths and Legends on the fourteenth of February, you will be met by a chauffeured limousine and escorted to the venue. I look forward to seeing you and Joey. Oorah!"

At first Evan had thought it was some sort of weird joke. But when he read it for the second time, it was evident the writer knew details about them that they hadn't shared with anyone else. Was it possible the offer could be genuine?

Evan tried hard to suppress his hopeful excitement. Only think! If they won, maybe Joey could go back to being his normal sweet self...

~~~

One minute, Cal was looking out the window at Rob who had appeared on the other side, outside the railway carriage, one hand clasping a phone to his ear, the other rapping frantically on the glass to get his attention...

"Cal!" Cal could see his name on the other man's lips although he couldn't hear him. He could see the dread in Rob's eyes.

"Get out now! There's another bomb!"

... and the next minute a blue police box appeared out of thin air, right in the middle of the railway carriage. The door swung open. "Get in, right now!" screamed Rob from inside the police box.

Mouth gaping in confusion, Cal stood there, frozen to the spot. Rob reached out, grabbed his arm, and hauled him into the box. The door slammed shut behind them. A young woman with a shaved head smiled at Cal briefly, then bent over a panel in the centre of the box (which was much bigger on the inside than the outside). The panel was full of coloured levers and flashing lights, which she proceeded to operate with brisk competence.

"Damn, that was close," said Rob, wiping beads of sweat off his forehead. He pulled Cal into his arms. "I can't believe you're here! Alive! Another second and..."

Rob was holding him so tightly it hurt, and Cal realised the other man was crying. What the hell was going on?

(to be continued ...)