A Different Dimension (Chp 1) PART II

I was dumb to think that anything would ever be normal again. What even is normal anymore? I kept on holding onto the life I had before all this Duskwood madness started. The life that I had, which didn't include anything my life has right now. How could I ever get that life back? How was I ever expecting to be able to wake up and not have a single worry about anything like I used to before?

That life is gone, and it is never coming back.

I just wanted one day where things didn't feel like they were all falling apart no matter how much I tried to keep it all together. Just one day! Was that too much to ask for? "God, shut up, Madisyn," I repeated to myself as the memories of the life I once had replayed over and over in my head. "You don't even recognize that life anymore," I told myself.

I didn't even realize I was still lying down on his chest listening to his heartbeat until Eli spoke and snapped me back into reality.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Sorry, yeah... yes, I am."

"I would have let you be there for hours, but I really think you need to talk to his parents."

"You're right, let's go."

"Hey, I'm going to call Jake really quickly and tell him that I'm going. I don't want him to worry, " I continued as I reached for my phone and dialed his number.

"Hey... how's it going? Everything okay?"

"Yes, everything is fine. I was just calling to tell you that I will be a little later than expected. I'm going over to Evan's parents' house."

"His parents' house? Why? What happened?"

"Are they okay?" He continued.

"Yes, babe, they are fine, don't worry. I just found out something from Eli about Evan that I need to go and talk to them about. I'll tell you everything once I get back home."

"No problem. The kids and I are doing fine. We'll see you when you get back home."

"I love you, and I'll see you soon."

"I love you too. Take care."

"Sorry about that, I didn't want him to worry," I exclaimed.

"No need to apologize. You did what anybody would do. He is a lucky man to have you."

I looked at Eli as he continued to look in front of him and drive. There was something about him that felt good. I felt comfortable. It wasn't just the fact that he had Evan's heart. It was something beyond that. Something I couldn't understand.

However, if I'm being honest, I didn't try to understand it. After being around so many terrible people and being hurt so much, I have learned to appreciate being around someone who makes me feel good. After all, some things in life aren't meant to be understood. They are just meant to be lived.

"Thank you for coming with me. I don't think I would have been able to do it alone."

"No need to thank me. I'm just doing the right thing. You would do the same."

"Are you scared?"

He quickly glanced at me with a shocked look on his face. I could tell that he wasn't expecting that question. Maybe he didn't have an answer for it, but regardless, I still wanted to know.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you scared of dying?"

"Hmm... This is a question I didn't think I was going to hear for a long time. I hoped that I wouldn't."