Reflections

"Can someone get the door, please?"

"Yeah, I'm on it," replied my dad.

Jake was still standing outside. I have never been more confused about what to do in my entire life. I wanted to comfort him, but I also felt like he needed to be alone with his own thoughts. However, I probably did have to get him inside since our guest had arrived.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Silvia, thank you for joining us for dinner," I exclaimed.

"Oh, thank you so much for having me over. It's been so long since the last time I've been anywhere, really."

"Make yourself at home. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Water is fine, thank you."

"My mom will be right out. Feel free to get comfortable, and I'll bring your water."

I walked to the kitchen and grabbed the water. On my way out, I saw my mom coming out of the bedroom. She looked at me in hopes that I would say something, but I just walked past her and made my way to the living room. My dad and the kids were already talking to Mrs. Silvia.

"Silvia, it's so nice to see you again."

"It's very nice to see all of you again as well. It's been a long time."

"Here is your water, enjoy."

"Thank you, darling. You have beautiful children."

"Thank you so much. I'm assuming they have already introduced themselves."

"Yes, mom, we did," said Lilly.

"How have you been, Silvia? How is your family?" Asked my mom as she sat down across from her.

While they continued talking, I stepped out to the backyard where Jake was. He must have been distracted by something because he didn't even hear when I opened the door. I walked over to him and slowly placed my hand on his arm.

"Hey... are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Look, I am so sorry. I promise I had no idea my parents had those pictures. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, Jake."

"Forget it, I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay, well, the guest is here, so do you mind joining us?"

"Yeah, just what I need right now," he whispered behind me.

Well, this was stating off to a great start. I promise that if I had known that things would turn this way, I would have stayed home. It was barely our first day here, and everyone was already mad and not talking to each other. I don't know what I needed to do, but I had to figure out a way to calm everyone down if we planned on staying here.

"So Mrs. Silvia, are you going to tell them, or should I?"

"What are you talking about, Jake?"

"So you don't know? It's been a long time, but it's not that long. I sure as hell remember."

"Okay, does anybody want to explain what the hell is going on?" I asked.

"Do you have any idea how many times I've reflected back on my life and wondered what would have happened if I never came across you?" Jake continued as he completely ignored me.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Hahaha, that's a good one. Just erase it from your head as if it never happened. Meanwhile, I've had to live with that so long. I still fucken live with that!"