Chapter 6

Grace's phone vibrated. Grace looked at the screen. She read a recent text message sent by Marxes. "Do you see a guy on the roofs of your neighbors' houses?" It asked. Grace looked at the roofs. She didn't see anyone. The firefighters eventually came out of the house. They said it was okay for Grace and her parents to come back inside. The reeking smell of rotting food was gone. The air inside was a little bit normal. Grace's mother went to the nearest bathroom. Grace went back upstairs to her bedroom. She texted something back to Marxes. He read the incoming text message. "Are you really okay? You are starting to scare me? I have not seen anybody on the roof on my house or on the other houses nearby mine." Her text said. Marxes wasn't so sure. The undead creature hid behind the roof of a house next to Marxes' house.

The monster waited for the firefighters to pack up their equipment. He tried to be as quiet as a mouse. The firefighter put their huge fan onto their truck. The firefighters went inside the truck. The flashing light came on. The truck gently rolled away. It was nearly one minute until nine O' clock. The undead creature turned its attention to Marxes. He snarled while looking into his window. Marxes read four more sentences from his book. He then heard a thump on the roof. At once, then smell of rotting food filled his room. Marxes nearly gagged at the reeking stench. Marxes got out of his room. There was some pounding on the roof next to his bedroom window. The monster peeked into Marxes window. He gave off a loud shriek. Marxes screamed and bolted to the living room. The undead creature punched into the window with one hand. "Marxes, what's going on?!" A voice queried from downstairs. Marxes stopped at the living room where his parents were eating popcorn together. "There's a monster in my room!" Marxes shouted. "What?!" This better be not some lie!" Marxes mother yelled as she marched upstairs. She did not believe his story. His father kept his eyes glued to him. "Were you lying to your mother Marxes?" He asked ominously. "No dad! I am telling you, there is a monster in my room!" Marxes screamed feeling afraid. His yell could be heard from the next house over. Grace was smelling the nice scent of Febreze in her room. She wanted to know what Marxes meant by seeing a creature on the roof of her neighbor's house. She did hear the noise of a window being broken into. Grace was thinking why her house was reeking of a horrid stench. Marxes didn't hear anything. "Mom, are you okay?" Marxes asked. "Quiet!" His father said to him. They couldn't hear anything. A foul smell was coming from Marxes' room. His father still kept his eyes glued on him. "This a prank, is it?" Marxes' father grilled him.

"What? That was no prank! Somebody broke into my room." Marxes protested. "You're lying! You always have caused trouble by going to that convenience store to get a sandwich. You're nothing but lazy." His father told him. A snarling sound came from his room. "Come on out of there! You're not fooling me!" Marxes' father shouted. "I think it's a trap!" Marxes said to his father. "Stop it! I'm not going to believe that story. Is your friend in your room? Tell me!" His father said, raising his voice. "This is no joke! Somebody broke into my room!" Marxes answered. Another snarling sound could be heard from Marxes' room. "Very funny, come out of there!" His father shouted, feeling annoyed. "What about mom? She hadn't come back after going into my room." Marxes exclaimed. He had an exaggerated grin on his face. "Oh, so you're telling me, that it was all mom's idea?" His father spoke, while chuckling a little. A snarl could be heard from Marxes' room. It sounded louder than ever before. "Mom might be in trouble. We have to help her!" Marxes claimed. A faint call for help could be heard from Marxes' bedroom. It sounded like his mother's voice. "Alright, I'm going to be investigating. You stay right here. I'm not going to fall for one of your stunts." Marxes father went to his room. Marxes pulled out his phone. It made a short buzzing sound. A text has emerged onto his phone. "Marxes, are you okay? I heard a window smash." Marxes quickly typed up another text. "Grace, somebody has broken into my room. I'm getting out of here!" The text said when Grace received his text. She felt scared. A loud snarling noise could be heard from Marxes' room. Marxes sent another text to Grace immediately. Grace's phone made a short buzzing sound. She checked the text and was shocked. "My parents might be trapped. I'm going to call for help!" The message claimed. Grace typed up another message. Marxes could hear another snarling noise coming from his room. He wanted to check, but he was scared stiff. His cellphone made a buzzing sound. Marxes looked at the screen and saw a new text message that was sent by Grace. Marxes read it. "Just have a look in your room. Maybe, the guy who broke into your room has ran away. Did your parents went to check your room? I would check for myself." Marxes took a gulp. His cellphone slid into the pocket of his pants. Marxes took a deep breath and slid his footsteps across the floor.