Chapter 17

The officers came out of the police car. They shined their lights on the road and began to search up and down the sidewalk for the two friends. The officers looked up and down the sidewalk. They looked into people's vehicles just in case the youths might have broken into one of them to hide. The officer's looked at the doors and garage doors that can be found. The locks on each door was shut tight. They were puzzled because the youths were nowhere to be found. The officers searched up and down the road again before coming back to their police cruiser. They got inside the vehicle and were stumped. The officers shined their vehicle searchlight on different parts of the road before speeding away. The smelly creature watching from far away was not satisfied. It jumped from the house roof. The undead monster walked among the parked cars in the street and the cars parked in the driveways. Marxes and Grace pinched their own noses.

The horrid smell was getting into their noses. The two friends were hiding under a dark red car parked on the road. The undead creature looked under the parked cars in the driveways. Grace and Marxes did not move from their hiding place. The strong smell of rotting food is coming from nearby. Grace and Marxes looked in front of the car that they were hiding under, and at the sides. Grace could see the smelly monster walking on the lawn next to the parked car they were hiding under. She bumped her shoulder on Marxes' shoulder. He turned to looked and saw a gray foot next to the car. Marxes slowly moved towards the road. He crawled out from under car and into the street. Marxes was not trying to make any sound. He pulled out his scooter and carried it under his arm. Grace the handle of her scooter sticking out from under the car. Marxes carefully set the scooter on its side on the pavement. He then helped Grace with getting her scooter out from under the car. The undead monster sniffed around and snarled. Grace felt even more scared as the undead monster had its knees on the side of the road. Marxes carefully got Grace's scooter and set down next to him on the pavement. Grace crawled through the narrow space between the parking spot and the red car. She was nearly out when she heard a growl. Grace got to her feet and saw that the creature was staring at her with teeth showing. The undead monster put his right foot on top of the hood of the car. The monster let out a nasty snarl before using the other foot to step next to the other side of the car hood. It reached out for Grace's head. Grace screamed and ran away. She had left her scooter behind. Marxes rode his scooter with his right hand and carried Grace's scooter with the left hand. The undead monster let out another roar. It swiped one of its hands at Marxes. It nearly caught Marxes by a millimeter. The smelly creature then chased after him. Marxes pounded his foot on the pavement. "Grace, take this!" Marxes said as he handed her scooter back. She quickly had the scooter on the ground and pounded against the pavement with all of her might. The undead creature let out an upset growl. Marxes and Grace rode along the street. They avoid any parked cars that they pass. The undead creature jumped onto a parked car and jumped onto the next car roof ahead. The undead creature leaped and landed on a car hood up ahead. Marxes and Grace jumped off their scooters. The undead monster shot off the hood of the car and caused the two friends to fall on the street pavement.

The monster out some loud growls that nearly made Marxes and Grace cover their ears. They also kicked at the monster's chest. The smelly creature ignored the kick. He leaned over them. His dark shadow leaned over them as the nearby streetlight shined some light from on top. Marxes and Grace tried to push back the monster. But it had the two friends pinned down on the pavement. The undead creature continued to growl and snarl loudly into their ears. Marxes and Grace had to cover their ears. The monster used both of its hands to get the hands of its victims ears. Without the arms holding it up, the undead monster fell to the road. Grace and Marxes both kicked at the monster again. This time, its legs were swept off balance from the force of getting hit. Marxes and Grace rolled away, and the creature landed on its stomach on the road pavement. The two friends quickly got on top of the undead monster. They held it up against the pavement. The smelly creature was making some snarls and growls. Suddenly, there were blue and red lights coming from an oncoming police car. Marxes felt that he and Grace were saved. Two police officers hurried out of the car. "Help! This guy was attacking us." Marxes shouted. He tried to stay on top of the monster. It wiggled a bit from underneath. The officer soon rushed in to help. The foul odor coming of the undead creature was unbearable. The two police officers grabbed both of its hands. Marxes and Grace slowly got up from the creature. The two friends let the two officers take the undead creature away. It snarled menacingly at the two youths. Recognizing the two youths, the two officers told them to come to their car. Marxes and Grace both came to the car. Marxes had a feeling that he and Grace would get locked away for good. That these officers would tell their colleagues that they have found the two youths who broke into the small store.