ch 27

Standing in a room of alphas and diplomats for the witches, Alcina rubbed her temples. Xavier had gone across country to speak to the remaining alphas while Alcina handled the twelve close to the pack.

"The elites managed to track down their nest. It's best if we attack during the day since we know the ancient ones prefer the night. We go in and take out everyone that we can as silently as possible. We don't want them to know we are there for as long as possible." Alcina commanded in a queen like tone. "We strike here, here and here at noon. At the same time the king and his men will be coming in from here and here, blocking off their escape."

After some questions and a contingency plan, they set out for revenge. Every wolf and witch alike was out for blood. After about an hour they arrived. Countless wolves with witches on their backs. They all filed into a line near the nest and waited for the signal. The moment Alcina caught sight of the black smoke, her large wolf snarled and darted forward. However the first building she broke into had been emptied of all life. It stood lone and vastly empty. Growling in annoyance she ran to the next to find it in the same condition, abandoned and empty.  Something was wrong. The ancient ones were here merely hours ago but now most building stood completely empty. Shaking herself slightly, she slid Eli off her back before sitting and releasing a bone chilling howl. Waiting for a moment, she let out the same hotel a second time. Eli could see his sister focusing as her ears lay back when she repeated her howl before perking up her ears and listening. To a normal human the response howl would've barely been heard but they weren't human. Alcina heard the pain in the howl before she felt it. Immediately she stood, running to Xavier. Eli quickly threw a arm over her shoulder, swinging himself on her back before she took off. He didn't know much about wolves, but even he felt the pain in the howl. Darting and dodging through thick trees Alcina pushed her beast as hard as she could, knowing she couldn't stand to bury another member of her family. Running at full speed, Alcina noticed something in the corner of her eye. Just as she saw it, she came to a sliding stop, Eli barely holding on.

"Ali? What is it?" Eli said scanning their surroundings with vigilant eyes. When his human eyes failed him, he concentrated, shifting only his eye sight. Only then did he noticed the line of ancient ones separating them from the other units. They slowly walked forward before coming into view.

"You must be the queen of wolves. A bit degrading for you to have a witch on your back." An older man about in his forties stepped from the group. Alcina shrugged slightly in response and Eli once again planted his feet on the damp forest floor. Autumn was giving way to winter and the chill nipped at Eli's face.

"If you must know, she's my sister." Eli said standing next to Alcina dutifully. She huffed and sat down waiting for the man to explain.

"As you can see, we knew you were coming. We'd like to offer a truck before anymore blood is spilled. It's easier if you talk back though." Though his accent had begun to change, one could easily tell this man was born abroad. With his tousled brown hair and unnaturally green eyes. Alcina huffed once more before shifting to her human form.

"What do you want? Where is my mate?" She snapped, standing before then completely bare. Many ancient ones turned their eyes in disgust and their leader seemed taken by surprise.

"I forget about the modesty of wolves." He said looking up at the slowly setting sun. Looking back to Alcina he sighed. "Here is your mate. I had to break his leg."

The man nonchalantly waved his hand and four men drug Xavier's wolf forward. He had been bound in silver chains that were slowly burning his skin.

"Then what do you want?" She said focusing on the task at hand. Xavier was breathing. That's was all that mattered, they would settle the rest later.

"Simple, we want freedom. We want to make a deal. I'm Ignatius by the way." He answered holding out a hand.

"I'm Alcina, my mate is Xavier, and that's my brother Eli, king of the witches." She said putting her hands behind her back and pacing.

"Well, Alcina, could you cover up some please? We ancient ones pride ourselves on modesty." He said shrugging off his coat and passing it to her. She eyed it for a moment before reluctantly taking it and pulling the jacket over her shoulders. 

"Happy? Continue. What do you mean by freedom? What kind of deal?" She asked buttoning the few buttons the suit jacket had.

"Again, simple. We want freedom to live as we desire, doing as we wish. As for the deal, we will take the land north of here, from what used to be witch land and up, but leave everything down here untouched. We won't come south, you don't come north. We cohabit this planet by peacefully ignoring one another." Ignatius explained as Alcina paced, staring only at Xavier.

"Let my mate go. I can't think." She said, biting her nails. Her one safe place was currently held prisoner, and shamed to admit it, but Alcina couldn't think clearly. Ignatius turned to his men and they unbound Xavier before bring him over and dropping him with a light thump. Xavier stirred slightly and Alcina immediately linked him, knowing he was conscious.

"If I may." Ignatius said bringing her back to reality. "I propose you take time to think. Take your people, sit down with whoever, and meet back here in in three days time. Midnight of the new moon?"

"Fair. We'll take it." Alcina answered shrugging off the jacket and throwing it to Ignatius. He caught it quickly and Alcina shifted before nudging Xavier to his feet with her nose. Eli shifted as well to help which earned him a surprised gasp. The ancient ones never dreamt a wolf would ever lead the witches.