29. The shift

It's been seventeen years since alcina met and married her mate and love of her life. Sixteen since she had the twins. Tonight the boys would finally shift in front of the pack and earn their title of heirs to the throne. Alcina and Xavier had been preparing all week for what would be a country wide event. Alphas from every pack in the states would be in attendance and bringing their daughters if they had one. Tonight the boys would greet every eligible she-wolf in the country between the ages fifteen and twenty. They had been fitted for their suits and had spent all day training for the ceremony. As the sun began to set thousands of eager wolves began filling the pack house and surrounding area. At six thirty that evening the twins pulled on their own suits after showering and gave each other a respective once over.

"You should wear the tie, luce." Lucas said smoothing his hair once more.

"I don't know how to tie the damn thing. Mom will be fine." Lucian rolled his eyes at the nickname.

"At least button your shirt and brush your hair." Lucas said before leaving the room. Lucien turned back to the mirror and smoothed his hair over his scar, much like his mother once did. He left the top button unfastened before leaving the room. Both boys stood at the back door waiting to be announced.

"Promise me something?" Lucas spoke up.

"Anything, brother." Lucien answered.

"Promise me no matter how pretty they are, we don't sleep with anyone but our mate." Lucas stated bluntly. The boys have known their entire lives, purely on instinct, they had one mate for both of them. They would share her and she would be okay with there being two of them.

"Thank you all for coming tonight. We are so excited for you to join us on such a momentous celebration. Tonight our sons will earn their wolves and inherit the title of heir. Please join us in welcoming our sons, Lucas and lucien." They heard their mothers voice and second later the French doors opened. They were greeted by twinkling lights and a large round of applause. Stepping forward they began mingling and greeting everyone as they approached their mother and father. Once they got to them Lucien rook the microphone from her and everything went silent.

"I thank you all for coming and honoring us with your presence tonight. I wanted to say we look forward to speaking with you all. Also we hope very much to find our mate tonight, but if we don't. We will stop at nothing to find her." He handed the microphone back and they began mingling again. Just before midnight their mother spoke again. 

"Hello again! I hope everyone is having a wonderful time. Sorry to interrupt but it's time for the first shift." Alcina announced and everyone turned to the twins who could feel the shift starting to take hold. The pain of the first shift was almost unbearable as every bone in their bodies began to break. As the bones broke they reshaped themselves. However something didn't seem to be going right.

"Brother! Help me." Lucien screamed and began reaching for his twin. As soon as their hands touched something strange began to take place as the twins began fusing into one another. Moments later there stood a half black half white wolf that towered over everyone present.

"The king has returned." Elder Damien said before taking a knee and bowing his head. Everyone in attendance followed his actions knowing he meant the original lycan king.