Part 06

Over the course of a week passes by as Melloetta trains Sam with combat and his flying abilities.

"Ok try to hit the dummy with your sword." "Got it" Sam replied as he swung his weapon at the dummy. He sliced multiple times at the dummy showing cut marks on it. "How'd I do?" Sam asked. "Not bad"

"This canon will shoot projectiles at you, try to evade them." "Ok I'm ready" Sam exclaimed.
Melloetta pulled a lever and the cannon started firing balls at Sam. He ducked and evaded all 10 shots. He shot his fist in the air exclaiming
"I did it!" Before getting hit in the head with a dodgeball from behind him.
"Ow! Hey what was that for??" Melloetta was on the floor laughing. "Oh sorry *snickers* you should always pay attention to your surroundings!"

"Ok try hovering in the air" Melloetta exclaimed "Ok" Sam braced himself but was not floating in the slightest. He looked disappointed "Ah...guess I still can't control it..." Just then he started to float upwards "Woah wait ok ok! Haha! Look Melloetta! I'm doing it!!" As if it were on cue he stopped floating and fell onto the safety mat. "Are you ok??" Melloetta asked before then receiving a thumbs up from Sam. Maybe she should make a gadget to slow his falling she thought.

Melloetta is looking out the window at the sky, it had gotten darker. She then noticed Sam walking towards her. "I put away all the equipment" she smiled "Thank you, that was a big help." Melloetta replied.
Sam walked over to the window. "The sky keeps getting darker..."
"Indeed" After pondering for a moment she finally came to an conclusion. "Alright Sam, I've finally judged if your strong enough to help me fight..." Sam turned to her, his eyes perking up.
"Oh that's great! Well I'm ready to hear it."

"To be honest...your not ready yet."
"Oh..." Sam replied. "Don't get me wrong your a decent fighter but your just not ready yet you need more experience and you still haven't gotten the hang of using your flying abilities yet which could make you a powerful foe if you did get the hang of it." Melloetta exclaimed.
Sam wanted to say more but she was right, he wasn't the best at fighting yet and time was running short as things outside were looking worse every day. "I understand...then could I stay here and protect the airship while your gone?" "Of course! The airship is invisible from the outside so it's not like you'll be in too much danger but if the worst comes then I can trust you to take care of it." Melloetta replied.
Suddenly a lightning bolt could be heard from the outside and the two looked at the window and rushed over to it.

"The sky is getting worse..." Melloetta said with a worried look on her face. She then had gotten a serious look on her face and spoke. "Alright Sam I'm going to end this and save your town. Stay here and I'll be back later on." Melloetta was flying over to the hatch when she felt a hand on her arm and turned back. "You'll be ok right? Down there by yourself?" Sam exclaimed. Melloetta smiled "Don't worry I'll be fine I promise." She held out her hand as Sam looked at it then at her honest face before embracing her. "Please be careful..." she hugged back smiling once more. Melloetta then flew over to a lever and pulled it to open the hatch to the airship.Sam could feel a gust of wind blow on him as he took a couple steps back. Looking over at Melloetta she smiled at him one last time before falling out of the airship."

The hatch started to close on its own as Sam looked out the window to check on Melloetta.
He could vaguely make her out in the storm before disappearing from his view. She was completely fearless...and look at him. No she's delt with this kind of thing already he has zero experience with fighting an otherworldly being.
Sam started to walk over to his room pondering on what to do while Melloetta fights to save his town. He reached the door to his room and put a hand on the doorknob before he started to fully process what he just thought.

She's fighting to save his town. She doesn't even live here or know anyone here besides him and she's risking her life by fighting all of the monsters causing havoc by herself with no backup.
He lives in this town and he's doing nothing but staying behind protecting an airship that doesn't need protection.
No, no matter his combat skills no matter if he could fly or not no matter how scared or worried he was not going to let her fight by herself much less not protect his town.

Sam pushed himself away from the door and headed for the armoury.