Chapter 2

Sanju

A week went in a blur with us getting our scheduler and books. The induction and introduction took most of our time during the week. I finally discovered that my flat mate's name was Pooja and she loved being addressed as Pooja and not Pooh.

She still stayed aloof and I still did my best to befriend her. But she kept ignoring me royally.

In the third week, we were asked to enroll in extra circulars. That's when my mad side started. I hated games or any sort of extra-curricular all my life. Now, being forced to be a part of it was driving me mad. Meanwhile, Pooja still stayed aloof giving me a stink eye and in return I gave her my scare crow face. She understood and decided to ignore me till I cooled. How I wished that my grandfather could use his reference and help me by not being pushed to be the par of extra curricular.   

I researched for three days and decided to be a part of dodge ball team. To me it seemed simpler game , not requiring much of practice. Sports was done, and for the club, I decided to be the part of theater as Karan bhai always called me a drama and I was pathetic and dance and other things.

Finally, the day arrived when we had to play our first practice game. I watched as two teams stood opposite to each other while our coach explained the rules. It was simple, we had to hit the opposite team with the ball without getting hit, the player who would be hit by the opposite team will be considered disqualified.

It occurred simple to me; boy I was wrong. The opposite team had one of the meanest person I had known all my life, Ruby. She was from the same department as ours but a year senior. The moment we came opposite to each other, the sparse crowd cheered for Ruby and her team. She stared at us as if we were headless chickens. I just shrugged, the plan was to get hit and get disqualified, but mean queen Ruby changed my mind.

Ruby took the first hit on my roommate Pooja, and a bad one. Pooja fell on her back holding her face. The referee whistled bringing the game to halt, Pooja was taken to infirmary and when I questioned the action, the referee said we need to learn to be careful. Ruby just smirked, bad for her as I decided to dismiss my plan of getting disqualified. I wasn't the best one. But I was going after Ruby at any cost. She hurt my friend, and I was going to take blood for blood.

I stayed low and realized it was more of the game of timing ,I was able to hit 3 and my team took other 2 out. We were just 2 left while opposite team still had 3. It was time for a break and I told my teammate that I was going after Ruby. She warned against it, but I was determined. I watched Ruby from the corner of my eyes and her eyes seemed trained on someone else. When I looked up, it was the Same guy who helped me, THE BAD BOY. I was right about him. If Ruby was he one he liked, he ought to be bad.

The way Ruby looked at him , I knew what that look meant. I smiled, the devil in my head did a little somersault. How would it feel to turn Ruby's face into a mashed potato in presence  of her boyfriend. Yes, I was going to do that. That mere thought awoke the devil in me. Poor Ruby, if she could read my twisted brain, she would be running to mountains. I was going to go down in he history for defeating the evil Que...Nah! She was no queen, she was a troll from those shows I enjoyed as a kid.

I looked once up again following Ruby's eyes and he was looking at me, blankly. He waved, I squinted poking my tongue  a him. He just smiled. As the whistle went off, we stood opposite ready to attack and I released, Ruby's team had all focused on me, bad for them as I was not planning to go down without tasting her blood. I felt like a soldier ready to avenge his brothers. I gave nod to my partner. Since all focus was on me, I was going down next but I was taking Ruby with me. Oh! This revenge felt so good, I smirked making her frown and with my whole strength  aimed for Ruby's snooty nose. I martyred taking three cannon balls at once on my back and my team mate took down the other of the opposite team. Ruby wailed holding her nose as I saw my victory trickled down her nose.  ''You did on purpose.'' She wailed