𝙲𝚕𝚘𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝙲𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖 𝚡 𝙴𝚜𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚘 | 𝙶𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚢

Requested by Strrayeds!

A/N: Just to note, time-frame-wise, the events of this one shot take place shortly after the end of Odyssey.

Also, this is humanized, but I'm still refering to Soul Jam as that because I'm not entirely sure what the human equivalent would be called.

Second also, this particular oneshot is pretty angsty. TW// slight emotional distress / feelings of helplessness

------

Ever since Dark Enchantress's violent attack on the Cremé Republic that fateful day, Clotted Cream's evenings had been filled with nightmare after nightmare.

It didn't matter how many times the Consul reminded himself that they had emerged victorious from the battle. It didn't matter that, albeit strange, the Republic was now safe, due to the power of a couple old heros, and the courage of a small child. No, if anything, those components only made him feel worse about the whole thing entire situation. How had someone less than half his age managed to face such a time of adversary with a childlike grin on his face?

And there the Consul had stood, in the middle of it all, paralyzed by the intense fear that had consumed him. He couldn't have moved, despite how badly he had wanted to. It was as if the universe had decided to punish him, confining him to watch such a horrible sight. The elders, barrelling out of the city hall with more scrapes and bruises than he could've imagined. The orphans, running around, screaming in fear for someone to comfort.

It was all too much for him to bear.

Financier had assured him time and time again that his freezing up was only natural for his situation. That it didn't matter in the slightest, because if Dark Enchantress ever returned with the intent of takeover, they would be ready to defend and protect themselves, thanks to the development of Soul Jam that would be distributed amongst the citizens. In fact, he could still hear her words, echoing throughout his brain, in the way that sounds reverberated off the walls of a cave. "Just because you are the Consul of this fine nation does not mean that you are exempt from making mistakes. What is important, however, is that is that you learn from them. This republic will not doubt your leadership as long as you're willing to adapt, and rise up. Do not forget that I will remain by your side for as long as you wish. Whether that be as your protector or your friend."

But while Financier's words deeply resonated with him, he couldn't steer his mind away from the fact that he had failed. Of course the paladin would say something like that; they had been best friends for a majority of their lives. He had racked his mind, night after night, trying to distinguish whether or not she had genuinely meant it, of if she had only contributed it in an attempt to make him feel better.

Either way, the Cousul couldn't sit so unproductively in the bed, rehashing it for what felt like the millionth time any longer. He had to get up. He had to escape these thoughts, to get out of there before he became sucked back into the cycle again. If he did this any longer, it wasn't going to be pretty.

A bit sluggishly, Clotted Cream tore off the covers to his bed, walking over to his bedroom door and hesitantly resting his hand on its handle. It would be a miracle if the paladins somehow didn't hear him, stumbling about. Quite often, Custard had them positioned outside of his door at night, intent on monitor this 'son' of his. You would think it would be for protection... but Custard had much different plans in mind for the young Consul. Plans that the young man could only wish didn't exist.