⚡️ Chapter Sixteen ⚡️

"I'm sorry you got stuck with my horse." I hear Eren apologize. He's talking to Mikasa, since she's holding his horse's reins.

"Don't worry about it. You should be saving your energy." She replies.

Eren sighs. "Yeah. I get it, but still."

"She's right, Eren." Connie remarks. "We need you at your best."

"Connie!" Armin exclaims softly.

He looks at Armin. "What?"

"Don't say his name again, dumbass." Jean answers for Armin.

It's been hours since we rode out. I mean, it's almost dawn, so the sun is about to start rising. I'm pretty sure we're close to Shiganshina though, so we won't have to be using these lanterns anymore.

Connie stiffens. "Right...I forgot. Sorry."

"Act as though we're surrounded by enemies. Always." Jean replies and looks to the side, stopping.

"Jean?" I question.

He shines his lantern in the direction he looked, revealing a Titan. "Titan on the left! Light up the area!"

Considering we're the closest to him, Mikasa, Connie, and I stand protectively in front of Eren, shining our lanterns at the Titans, as Hange makes their way over to it.

"It's alright." They assure. "He appears to be asleep. We're lucky he isn't one of the new ones that can roam around even at night." They sigh. "What a shame...leave him be."

We all continue walking on as if we didn't even see the Titan to begin with. It will probably be killed soon enough anyway.

"I can't believe we had to get that close just to notice the thing." Eren remarks.

"Tell me about it..." Connie replies.

"Yeah. I'm with you all on that." Hange says, agreeing. "It's worth it though. The moonless night is protecting us. Light from the moon is really just reflected sunlight, but that minuscule amount of light is all that's needed for these new Titans to move."

Interested in the conversation, I move forward a little more where Hange and Eren are. "Guess it's good it's a new moon then."

Hange nods. "Exactly. If it wasn't, we'd probably be having a repeat of before right now..."

Right...the Utgard Castle Ruins incident...that was terrifying, mainly because the six of us didn't have ODM gear on us. It's sad to think that only two of us that were there remain in the Scouts now...Ymir, Reiner, and Bertolt all left together and Historia became queen. It's just Connie and I that remain in the Scouts.

"Who knows?" Hange starts. "Maybe that sleeper was a moonlight Titan himself. I hope we can capture one some day. Just think of all the different experiments I could do on them!"

"That would be great." I comment. "If you could, maybe you could figure out how they're awake at night too."

"Good to see that someone supports my idea." Hange looks back at me with a small smile. Then they look back in front of them.

"What do you think about it?" I ask, looking at Eren. He appears to be in some trance though. "Hm?" He starts trembling a little, so I grab his wrist.

He immediately looks at me. "What is it?"

"Are you alright?" I ask, concerned. "You're shaking. Are...are you scared?"

"Are you okay?" Mikasa asks, concerned like me.

He looks at me shocked. "I'm fine and no! Of course I'm not scared!"

"Your hand is shaking." Armin notes, quickly joining Eren's other side. "Seems like nerves to me."