coming home to you

The cheers of the crowd are still ringing in my ears as I make my way out of the locker rooms. Or maybe there are still some extremely passionate fans still waiting out in the stands, hoping to catch a glimpse of their favourite player heading home. I sling my bag over my shoulder and begin the trek through what seems like miles of corridors built under the stadium, heading towards the exot and freedom.

We've just won the quarter final of the rugby world cup which means that, thanks to several serious injuries in one of the other top teams, we are automatically through to the grand final in two weeks. And because I don't have to do anything in particular for those two weeks, in terms of training or promotional stunts for the team, I am planning to get on a plane tonight and fly back to London to surprise my boyfriend.

I've been with Charlie for nearly eight years, but leaving him to go and play rugby in various cities around the world never gets easier. He came along a few times, earlier in my career but usually I have so little free time on the trips that he was just bored, shut up in a hotel room somewhere, just waiting for me. So now he chooses to stay home at our apartment in London. It works out for the better because he can still do what he likes most of the time and then we set aside time to have face time calls.

He has no idea I'm coming home tonight. I know he watched the game, live on TV with a group of our friends at our apartment, but he doesn't know about the other team having to forfeit nest week's semi final. So he thinks I'm still staying in Barcelona for the whole two weeks.

"Oi, Nick!" I turn to find my team mate and friend, Brett, jogging to catch up.

"Alright?"

"Yeah. Good game, huh?" He slows to a walk beside me.

"I guess." I'm always critical of my own performance after a game, running over bits where I could have made a different play or done something different.

"You guess? Mate, we're into the bloody grand final!" Brett is practically bouncing off the walls with excited energy and lets out a loud whoop that echoes off the walls.

"It is pretty cool. I've never played a final before. Or, well, not at this level, anyway." I agree with a laugh and he claps me on the shoulder.

"Mate, what are my chances of convincing you to come out with us tonight?" He's got a look on his face that tells me he already knows the answer. Only a few of my team mates are in long term relationships. And we like to spend our down time with said partners. The rest of the guys like to party and hook up with shirt term flings in every new city we go to.

"Like 0%. I'm getting on a plane in five hours."

"It's a long way to travel just for a few days." He scrunches up his nose at the thought and I laugh.

"It's worth it for Charlie."

"Ugh, you serious relationship people are so disgustingly cute sometimes." I would give him a scathing response if we didnt just arrive at the door leading to the carpark. Through the glass panes we can see the masses of fans gathered, waving flags and banners in our team colours, shouting our names. Brett gives me a look and a subtle shrug before we push open the doors and step out into the sunshine.

We're met with cheers and flashes of light as people take photos and wave pieces of paper at us, hoping for an autograph. Brett and I do as much as we can to pose for photos and sign whatever is thrown at us but eventually security urges us forwards and to our cars.

"Alright, well have fun with Charlie. Say hi to him for us." Brett gives me a quick hug by his rental car, a shiny blue sports car that's just a little too flashy for my liking.

"Will do. Have fun at the endless parties. Be safe."

"Aren't I always?" I shake my head and roll my eyes at him before heading over to my own rental car. A slightly less inconspicuous silver sports car.