blood must have blood

as we continued on following bellamy, we had approached a door. bellamy opened it, and other the other side, octavia and clarke stand. i had to blink a few times to make sure they were real, and they were. "artemus." octavia pulls me into a hug, "are you okay?" she asks.

"im okay." we hug for a brief moment before she goes to bellamy. they hug, then he walks over to clarke.

"i knew it. you two are too scrawny to drill." she chuckles, wrapping her arms around them.

maya comes around the corner, in her hazmat suit, and octavia tenses up. "its alright. she's with us." i hold my arm out, and she relaxes.

once bellamy moves, i run over to clarke engolfing her into a hug, jasper and monty hugging her after me.

mayas oxygen meter starts beeping, and i run over to check it. "thirty minutes. we just changed it. that cant be right."

"uhh umm.. just is her last tank" jasper points out,

our blonde leader steps forward, "okay, we'll find you another one."

"all of the supplemental oxygen is on level 5."

"then we have to get you to level five." i say,

"five isnt safe for any of us."

"we'll take the trash chute. it'll work,"

"to get in, maybe. but maya's right. every soldier in this mountain is there. we'll never make it out."

"i am not letting her die, bellamy!" i raise my voice, and they go quiet. "we can do this. we'll split up."

"okay. you guys go for dante." octavia turns to me and jasper, "we'll help maya."

"okay." i grab jaspers hand and walk towards the door, octavia and maya following. 

we walked toward the trash chute, and we all crawled inside. we crawled up to level five and jasper pushed the door open. "come on, we have to hurry. she's out of air."

"close the door." i say, pulling off mayas suit helmet. she gasps, "time to spare heh"

"she's safe. can we go now?" octavia asks, anticipation filling her voice.

"im not leaving her, o. she's alive, but she's not safe." i say, trying to think of a plan.

"cage knows i helped you guys, he's on level five."

"so what do we do?" jasper asks,

"we kill cage." i state.

octavia nods, "im in."

we developed a plan, and maya had just left to find sargent lee.

i paced the hall, "this is taking to long. what if she got caught?" i stress.

"we would've heard something, art." jasper says, trying to calm me.
"what if she couldn't find sargent lee? or i dont know, the protocol changed? what if he got caught?"

"artemus, a warrior doesnt worry about what she cant control." octavia says.
as if on cue, maya walks in the door. i pull her into a hug, "oh thank god."
lee cocks his gun, and octavia pulls out her sword.

"lee, put down the gun." maya pushes the gun,
"you didnt say there was an outsider."

jasper holds out his hand "she's not an outsider"

"yes she is" octavia speaks in third person.

"she's with us." i say.

"cage is in the dorms. they brought another group in. more marrow. they're not even trying to fix the dam" maya stresses.

"how many soldiers are with cage?" i ask lee.

"uh, six, why?"

i pull the gun off of my shoulder, "just get me close."
"artemus, are you crazy?!" jasper practically yells,
"maybe i am, maybe im not. but one thing is for sure, cage wallace dies to day."

"then im coming with you." he hands his gun to octavia.

i hold out my hands, "make it look like you brought us in."
"i hope you know what your doing." lee says.

we turn around and walk towards and out of the door, letting lee grab us.
lee walked us down to the dorms, "i got two more."

i look around at the familiar faces. monroe, abby, raven, and many others. lee walked us over, against the wall with the others, making sure to leave us uncuffed from the wall.

as cage wallace nears me, i attach my teeth to his neck, and bitting out his vugular. the metallic taste of blood fills my mouth, and i spit out the chuck of flesh. cage drops to the ground, and as the gaurds reach for me, they all begin to choke.

the breach alarm starts blaring and i panic, "maya.." i move from the wall, ignoring the calls and running for the door, jasper follows me.

i run down the hall as fast as i can. i run into the mess hall to see everyone melting, including maya. "No!" i scream, dropping to her side.
i pick up her head and hold her in my arms, "i got you. im here." i begin to cry, feeling like apart of me was gone, "she was innocent" i sob,

"none of us is innocent." maya whipers, shutting her eyes, and dying in my arms.
i cry again, "no! please. not like this! please! you dont deserve this!"

jasper hugs me, as i hold my best friends lifeless body.

octavia had gotten up to help everyone back at the dorms.

as clarke, bellamy, and monty near us, i continue to cry. "what did you do?"

"we had no choice."

"i killed cage! if you would've just waited one more minute, it would've been over."

"artemus, they never would've stopped."

clarke and bellamy step past us, i look up at monty with the meanest look, "how could you let this happen?"

"im sorry."

"sorry? you're sorry?"

                                                                   ---

as we walked back from mount weather, jasper held most of my weight as i limped. we didn't talk or even look at each other. i was falling apart. maya was my best friend, and my  brother and other best friends had killed her. had killed everyone. 

i was covered in blood. not even my own blood. i am covered in mountain man blood. how am i supposed to forgive myself? i'm a murder. 

i collected my thoughts as we walked into camp jaha. me and jasper stopped, looking around at the arkers. "wait" raven stops beside us, "jasper" she pulls out jaspers goggles, "i almost forgot." he takes them from her hand. "thanks." 

raven turns to me, "artemus, im sorry about maya." 

i dont say anything, i just stare at the ground, thinking of all the things i had to do to survive, wondering if it was all worth it.