Grief

Word Count-1902
Spencer Reid x Reader

-

Walking into the bullpen at 8 am wasn't what you had planned but here you were anyway. Of course, the one and only Dr Spencer Reid had to be in as well. Feeling his intense stare, you sit at your desk and flip through some cold cases, debating on which one to start first.

The two of you had been together for around a year and a half at this point and he was perfect. Yet, still, you didn't know how to tell him what had happened the night before.

-

"Hi mama," you say, walking into the old barn conversion in which your mother lived. Your father had lived there too before he had gotten into an accident a few years back.
"Hi, darling. I hope you're hungry. I made dinner. Your favourite as well."
"Awh, you didn't have to do that."
"I insist on it." She spots your work bag, a case file slightly sticking out the top, "Did you come straight from work?" she questions.
"Yeah," You say, removing your coat and following her through, "it has been a long day."

She nods, getting the meal out of the oven and plating it up. "Working in the FBI will do that for you, see that is why I warned you about becoming a profiler and getting that promotion to the BAU."
"Ma, I wouldn't change it for the world."
"Well, I guess if it makes you happy," she says, carrying over the plates to the table.
"Do you want wine?" you ask from the cabinet.
"Go on then darling," she says sitting down. You walk over with two glasses of white wine and sit down.

A short while into dinner, you look up. "How's treatment going ma?" She had been undergoing treatment for a brain tumour for the past 8 months and you knew it was taking a toll on her. "How about we talk about it after dinner?" she suggests, returning to her meal.
"Okay. Is everything okay ma?"
"Yeah. Everything's great."

After two hours or so, you were sat in the living room with your ma. Her favourite TV show had been on so you were watching that. After it had finished she beckoned you over to join her in a hug on the couch. "Darling, you know my tumour?"
"Yeah, is everything okay?" you ask. She goes to speak but chokes back a few tears with a crack in her voice.
"It's not going away."
"You're gonna be sick forever?" you ask a few tears in your eyes.
"In a way, yeah, but it turns out that my forever isn't going to be for as long as we thought it was gonna be. So everything they're doing now is to give me more time with you, more time with everyone. Does that make sense?" she asks.
"Are you gonna die?" you say in almost a whisper of a tone.
She nods her head, beginning to let the tears fall, "Yeah, I am and I'm so sorry, but I am."
"You lied to me."
"I know darling and I'm sorry. It is just because I thought I would get better."
"But maybe-" you start.
"No," she cuts you off, "no, it's not gonna go away."

"How... how long have you got left?" you manage to piece together the words.
"They reckon six months."
Your mouth drops slightly, "S-six months. That's barely anything."
"I know darling. I'm so sorry."

-

"Hey," You feel a breath on your neck.
"Hi," you reply, turning around to see Spencer standing behind you.
"Are you okay?" He asks after seeing your face, "You look like you've been crying."
"It's noticeable?"
"Only your red eyes." He takes Morgan's chair, bringing it around to sit next to you, "You can tell me anything, as long as you're comfortable?"
"I know," you say, taking his hand and forcing a smile. You take a deep breath, "Remember how I told you about my ma's cancer?"
He nods, "It's not going away like we thought it was. She's only got 6 months now." tears begin to fall from your eyes. Spencer tightens the grip on your hand, pulling you in for a hug. A few tears formed in his eyes as well. "I'm so sorry," he whispers.
"I wish she just had more time, you know?" you say, pulling away from the hug and joining your hand back with his. "I know. It must be terrible to have that resting near you at all times. I guess, 21% of Americans survive brain tumours over 40." You shake your head in response, "She's not going to get better, she's done Spence, she's gonna die." He hugs you again as your tears fall again.