Anthrax

Word count-2732
Spencer Reid x Reader

---------
As you walk through the doors of the bureau, all eyes fall on you. The short walk to your desk, opposite Dr. Spencer Reid's, felt like it took a million years. The past few days, you had been out of work from the unexpected passing of your Mother. However, you were ready to get back into the field and back to the job you love. Profiling.

You sit down on your chair and make eye contact with Spencer. Over the 4 years you had been with the BAU, you had become close with Spencer Reid. You shared assets that its difficult to find in most people and, overall, had a strong connection and friendship. His face plastered a smile toward you and you return it in a less happy manor, but still, you returned it.

"Hi." you say.
"Hey. How are you?" he says.
"I'm as good as I can be. You?" you reply.
"Good." he says.

With that, swarms of military personnel enter the BAU with different boxes -presumably- filled with different files.
"The hell." you say.
"Did we miss an announcement or something?" echos Spencer.
"I don't know. Hotch probably does."
"Well he is our boss and this is our bullpen so chances are 99.9% recurring."
"My God Spence, you just love to point out the very obvious."
"Well, most people miss the very obvious in daily life."
You smile and shake your head slightly. The first light in your life within the past week and, well, of course it was him. The guy you had been falling in love with more and more every waking moment. He could never know that though.

"Reid, y/l/n, briefing room, now." says Hotch, walking past with Rossi by his side. Prentiss and Morgan walk through the doors and head over to the two of you.
"What's going on?" asks Prentiss.
"No clue. Hotch wants us in the briefing room now." you say.
"Well, welcome back y/l/n. What a way to come back. Army personnel and all." says Morgan.
You laugh but it quickly breaks as you remember to head to the briefing room.

"This is Dr. Linda Kimura, Chief of Special Pathogens with the CDC." says JJ.
"25 people checked into emergency rooms in and around Annapolis. All of them had been at the same park after 2pm. Within 10 hours the first victim died. It is now just past 7am the following day, and 12 people have died. Each of them presented with lung failure and black lesions." explains Dr. Kimura.
"Anthrax?" says Morgan.
"No, anthrax wouldn't kill that fast." replies Spencer.
"This strain does." points out Dr. Kimura.

"What are we doing about the mass strains. Trains, malls, e-" says Prentiss.
"There's been a media blackout. The public don't need to know about this. Not now." says Hotch.
"Surely they have a right to know." you say, in defence of Emily.
"If we tell the public their psychology is more likely to kill than the strain." says Rossi.

"Well the person who's doing this might go underground and destroy their samples." says Reid.
"And what if they're wanting the attention. Not spreading it across the media could cause more attacks and more deaths all because he wants some attention." says Prentiss.
"If there is another attack the public will definitely know about it. Our best option now is to build a profile as fast as we can." replies Hotch.
"The spores on this strain of anthrax have been weaponized, reduced to a respiratory ideal that attacks deep in the lungs. It is odorless and invisible. It is sophisticated so only a scientist would know how to do that." says Kimura.
"What about the lesions?" you say.
"I'm not concerned about the lesions, it is the lungs, because once it is inside you, we don’t know how to combat it."

Everyone takes a breath and looks down. Hotch breaks the silence.
"We will be working side by side with the military on this case. Remember, keep your heads down and don't let this get out to the public. Reid, y/l/n, go with Dr. Kimura to Water Reed."
"Why Water Reed?" you ask.
"They're transferring all the patients there to be transferred there and held in isolation." says Rossi.
You all nod before heading to leave the room and start the case.
"Hold up. We all need to take these."
says Hotch, gesturing to the tray on the table with different cups of pills.
"What are they?" you ask.
"Cipro."
You nod and take the pills. As most of them leave, you go over to Spencer.