Serene Night

Surprisingly enough, Aelin managed to sleep for a significant amount of the journey even though when she woke the wind was howling and hail was hammering against the carriage.

Orlon had still been asleep when she opened her eyes. He looked so peaceful as he rested, the weight of her departure and the last few weeks gone, the frown lines smoothed across his brow. She let herself smile at the sight of her uncle— it was rare for her to see him like this.

Not long after she had woken, she felt the carriage come to a slow and then a stop. She glanced through the window and spotted the small inn that was tucked between the tall pine trees that covered this part of Terrasen. Smoke floated from the stone chimney and she could scent whatever delicious food was being cooked inside. They finally came to a full stop and Orlon opened his eyes, yawning slightly. He looked at Aelin and gave her a cautious smile then cleared his throat.

"I organised for the inn to have some food prepared for our arrival today. We can rest here for an hour or so and then head back on the road."

"How long to Orynth from here?" She asked.

"Only a few hours. We've made good time despite the weather." He reached to open the door, gesturing for Aelin to step out.

Her feet sunk into the snow as she exited, the crunching of other feet neared her and she smiled broadly as Rowan came to wrap an arm around her, placing a kiss on the top of her head as he did.

"So you survived then." He murmured, a slight laugh in his words.

She looked up at him. "He's not pleased with me. I will be paying for this for a long time... but I think it'll be okay." She slipped her own arm around him. "When we get back to Orynth we're to have our mating ceremony. My mother has apparently planned our wedding too."

"Good. I didn't want to wait any longer anyway." He scanned the surroundings briefly before bringing his hand to her face, cupping her cheek and lowering his mouth to her own in a soft kiss. "I've missed you."

Aelin's warmed at the whisper of a kiss and rose on her tiptoes to place another gentle peck on his lips. She relished the feel of him against her and the tenderness of their mouths touching, her heart beating faster as Rowan deepened the kiss ever so slightly. She heard his own breath hitch as she lay her hand behind his neck to pull him closer.

She was aware of the guards and the people who would be watching them, but she had spent too many weeks without him to care.

A throat cleared and they broke away from each other to look at a grim-faced Lorcan. "If you're done, food is being served inside."

Aelin hid her laugh in Rowan's shoulder and peered up at him. His own expression was one of subtle amusement.

They followed Lorcan inside and she shivered at the change of temperature; not realising just how cold it had actually been outside. The fire was roaring in the corner and she felt her own flame sing. She let her magic appear in the form of a mild heat, enveloping their group, warming them up as they all sat around a large wooden table that had been laid out with all sorts of food.

Lorcan had already begun to help himself to the steaming hot stew that rested in the middle of the table in an iron pot. Aelin on the other hand, took the pot of tea and poured a glass for Orlon before filling her own.

The four of them ate in silence, enjoying the warmth of the inn and trying to ignore the stares from the other patrons in there. It wasn't everyday that the king of Terrasen came to eat in a public place like this.

Still, Aelin ate her food, trying to keep her face neutral as she felt Rowan's hand go to her thigh, his finger tracing patterns. It seemed Rowan wasn't the only one who was needing the reassurance that they were together.