iii. fire stung !

III.      KAEN OKAYAMA   !
⋆ ★
fire stung

          Kaen thought of several times he could have told Leo to stay put and just walk away from the situation. The amount of questions he kept asking gave Kaen a headache. It was like listening to a chirpy Santa elf ask and ask about the simplest things.

Everything he showed Leo amazed him so much, he continuously said things that should've been illegal. Real Greek warships moored at the beach that sometimes had practice fights with flaming arrows and explosives? "Sweet!" Arts & crafts sessions where you could make sculptures with chain saws and blowtorches? Leo was like, "Sign me up!" The woods were stocked with dangerous monsters, and no one should ever go in there alone? "Nice!"

Kaen showed him the cabins, the dining pavilion, and the sword arena. He didn't get into the details, seeing as he one: wasn't interested in explaining how a rock climbing wall had lava falling from it and two: wasn't interested in having Leo asking him more questions.

"Do I get a sword?" Leo asked.

Kaen found the idea disturbing as he glanced at him. "You'll probably make your own, seeing as how you're in Cabin Nine."

"Yeah, what's up with that? Vulcan?"

"Usually we don't call the gods by their Roman names," Kaen never liked using their Roman forms. They didn't exist, not anymore at least. There was no point in using them regardless of his feelings. "The original names are Greek, the ones we use. Your dad is Hephaestus."

"Festus?" Leo tilted his head. "Sounds like the god of cowboys."

"He-phaestus," Kaen corrected. "God of blacksmiths and fire."

"So the flaming hammer over my head," Leo said. "Good thing, or bad thing?"

Kaen paused to consider his options, which were telling the truth or denying everything he asked. "You were claimed almost immediately. That's usually a good sign."

"But that Rainbow Pony dude, Butch—he mentioned a curse."

"Eh . . . look, it's nothing. Ever since Cabin Nine's last head counselor died—"

"Died? Like, painfully?"

"I should let your bunkmates tell you about it."

"Yeah, where are my home dawgs? Shouldn't their counselor be giving me the VIP tour?"

"He isn't able to. You'll see why." Lawn forged ahead before Leo could ask anything else.

They were halfway across the green when Leo froze in his tracks. Kaen noticed him stare into nothing and furrowed his eyebrow with concern. He nudged Leo while trying to see what he was staring at.

"What's wrong?" Kaen asked. "What are you staring at?"

"That old lady . . . " Leo said. "What's she doing here?"

Kaen tried to follow his gaze. "What old lady? Dude, no one is there."

"Dude, the old lady. The one in black. How many old ladies do you see over there?"

Kaen frowned. "I think you've had a long day, Leo. The Mist could still be playing tricks on your mind. How about we head straight to your cabin now?"

Leo looked like he wanted to protest, but eventually his face changed to his regular troublesome smile.

"Just messing with you, man." Leo pulled some gears and levers from his pockets and started fiddling with them. "Let's go see Cabin Nine. I'm in the mood for a good curse."